Chapter 53- Wait, Is this Fucking Play About Us?

Start from the beginning

Zuko, who was sitting on a dry fountain, sulkingly wiped his head with a cloth. "Ugh! My mother used to take us to see them. They butchered Love Amongst the Dragons every year!"

Katara turned to her brother with a skeptical expression. "Sokka, do you really think it's a good idea for us to attend a play about ourselves?"

Persuasively, Sokka responded. "Come on, a day at the theater? This is the kind of wacky time-wasting nonsense I've been missing!" He held up the poster anxiously and smiled sheepishly; Katara looked away, appearing uncertain.

✼  ҉  ҉  ҉  ҉ ✼

As the night fell, we made our way to the theater. Inside, the grand theater hall was huge, with its expansive stage, elegant curtains, and a large audience.

Toph, Katara, and Aang found their seats near the balcony. Aang wore a hat to cover his head tattoos. Toph and Katara settled down; Zuko sits next to Katara while Aang tries to sit next to her. Aang stood back up.

Sokka, Suki, and I sat the back row, positioned behind the rest of our team. I found myself seated between Suki and Sokka.

Aang pointed to his seat, trying to act casual. "Hey, uh...I wanted to sit there."

Zuko removed his hood. "Just sit next to me. What's the big deal?"

"I was just, I wanted to...okay." Aang took a seat beside Zuko.

I sat directly behind Zuko, I had a clear view of him. I playfully whacked the back of his head.

"Hey! What was that for?" He exclaimed.

I glanced at Aang's head. "For being oblivious."

"Why are we sitting in the nosebleed section?" Toph asked. "My feet can't see a thing from up here!"

"Don't worry," Katara reassured with a smile. "I'll tell your feet what's happening."

As the lights dimmed, the curtain rose, revealing a set resembling the South Pole seas. Actress Katara and Actor Sokka rowed their boat, portraying the familiar scene. Katara seemed thrilled to see herself onstage, and Sokka grabbed her shoulder, pointing at her, himself, and the stage excitedly.

Actress Katara, an older, more robust woman dressed in Water Tribe garments, sighed. "Sokka, my only brother! We constantly roam these icy South Pole seas, and yet never do we find anything fulfilling!"

Actor Sokka, a thin and lanky man, chimed in. "All I want is a full feeling in my stomach! I'm starving!"

The audience laughed, but Sokka and Katara's faces fell as they exchanged confused looks.

"Is food the only thing on your mind?" Actress Katara questioned.

"Well, I'm trying to get it out of my mind and into my mouth! I'm starving!" The audience chuckled once again.

Sokka leaned forward in his seat; clearly annoyed. "This is pathetic! My jokes are way funnier than this!" He extended his arm in a dramatic gesture.

Toph laughed, enjoying the portrayal. "I think he's got you pegged!"

Sokka grumbled in annoyance, but then wrapped his arm around my shoulder. "I'm funnier, right, Venus?"