Two

Faster and faster I ran, trying my best to weave my way through the maze of trees in front of me. The wolf's growls trailed behind me, sending chills through me as my fear peaked. My stomach was twisted into knots and I glanced over my shoulder, tears gliding down my cheeks while dread quickly filled me. The wolf was at my heels, its icy stare bearing into me. His paws barely touched the ground in pursuit of me.

'Why wouldn't it just leave me alone? What had I done?' The questions filled my thoughts, and before I knew it, my clumsiness had caused me to trip over my own two feet. The fear that engulfed me outweighed the pain that erupted in my knees once I made impact with the hard ground. I struggled to get back onto my feet, but the wolf loomed over me almost immediately, taking my fall to its fullest advantage.

I didn't bother hiding the fact that I was trembling on the spot as the snow-white wolf circled me like a predator would circle its prey. My tears were involuntary and I followed the wolf with my frightened gaze, anticipating its attack which would inevitably end my life. I wasn't ready to die, but it seemed that fate had another plan for me. I bit the inside of my cheek as I hid my face within my hands, only hoping that my death would be quick and painless.

But the attack never came, and even though curiosity seemed to be getting the best of me, I refused to lift my gaze. A gentle lick on my hands stiffened me to the bone, the wolf's warm tongue trailing tender laps over the surface of my skin. I was hesitant as I lifted my gaze, staring directly into the wolf's icy stare and wondering what it wanted with me. 'There must be a reason why it has been so persistent.' If I wasn't just another meal for its belly, then why would this wolf continuously pursue me?

The wolf sat on its hind legs, his tongue protruding from its mouth. Shock flowed through me when I noticed the wolf gazing at me with happiness beaming in its eyes. I instinctively pushed myself further away from the animal, feeling a bit safer if there was distance between myself and the beast. The distance between the wolf and myself seemed to have pained the animal, but I couldn't understand why.

The wolf whimpered and a part of me wanted to comfort the animal while the sane part of me thought I was beginning to lose my mind. Going against my better judgment, I slowly lifted my hand and began petting the wolf, the palm of my hand gradually gliding over its soft fur. The wolf leaned into my touch, and I couldn't help the smile that began forming over my lips. I obviously had a first wrong impression about the animal. "Why are you following me, huh?"

My question was a simple one and I felt foolish for thinking I would actually get a response, but I noticed that the wolf immediately stilled before pulling away from my hand, a serious glint sparkling within its piercing, blue gaze. I knew the wolf wasn't capable of speaking, so I was quite surprised when a single word echoed throughout my mind in a husky voice, as if the wolf had found a way to communicate with me after all.

'Mate.'

I sat up in a cold sweat, my panicked gaze looking around the room until I realized where I was. I pushed myself back against my pillows, my comforter falling from my body while I tried to steady my frantic heart. My breathing was coming out short and heavy, my body trembling with anxiety. The dream had been a peculiar one, and I absolutely had no idea what it could mean. "Aria, please get up or you're going to miss the bus! I doubt you want to be late for your first day of school!"

My mom's voice drifted from downstairs and I glanced over at my alarm clock, groaning when I saw I barely had forty-five minutes to get ready. I ran a shaky hand through my hair, the dream still fresh in my thoughts. The wolf even followed me into my dreams, so what the hell was going on? The dream left me with a lot of unanswered questions, but I didn't have the time to relive the moments I had imagined. Within twenty minutes, I had showered and dried my hair. I wanted to look nice for my first day, so I actually decided to put effort into my appearance. My hair bounced with fresh curls, and miraculously, my winged eyeliner was even and unsmudged.