The Prize

+

When L started solving the Kira case, organizations offered him prizes if he successfully solved the case: money, legal protections, access to classified documents, and a variety of things that L had no real feelings about. Money had never been a problem for L; solving high-profile cases had left L very well off. The fight Kira put up was the motivator to solve the case, not the idea of justice or money or some other mundane prize. Soon after beginning to work with Light, he realized he did want a prize for solving the Kira case: Kira himself. L wanted Light as a prize. It was that desire that led L to perform a complicated series of events: get several organizations to accept that L wanted Kira as his prize and then promptly fake his death. However, L regrets none of it, especially whenever he glances at the Omega asleep beside him.

Light slept the entire way to the departure site, and he fell asleep soon after getting on the plane. L figures Light needs the sleep, both as a physical requirement and to help settle his mental state. L knows he's going to have to be strict and unmovable once he lays down his rules, but he wants to give Light everything he possibly can. L doesn't want to restrict Light's freedom or harshly punish him. Light's already going to suffer. Why does L have to make it worse? Can't he just comfort Light while they live in their own version of domestic bliss?

L knows Light didn't really want to surrender to him. He had two choices: die or live. Light chose life over death. Surrendering to Near would have been a foolish move. Light is beautiful and still fairly young, the perfect target for violent crimes in jail. If Light would have went to prison and had a heat, L knows Light would have been a target. Prisoners, deprived of sexual intimacy, take it out on each other, especially Omegas. Light would never want to be touched by hundreds of deeply hungry people whose sexual needs can never be filled. L would never want that for Light either.

L should have done more back when he was first investigating the case. L knew when he met Light that Light was an Omega, hidden away by blockers so his father wouldn't be disappointed in him. He should have emphasized not killing Kira but helping the killer to recover. He should have emphasized healing over hurt, joy over sorrow. L had been younger back then, still subscribing to the vague idea of justice and righteousness. Kira killed people, therefore Kira had to die. Now that L is older, he doesn't argue for criminals he catches to get the death penalty.

Growing older hasn't made L softer, it's made him question authority and the way he was raised. Why were small children raised to become detectives? Why were children as old as four exposed to violent crime scene photos? Why did no adults try to help Beyond out after A died? How many people died trying to become the next L? How many times did L almost die as a preteen, unaware only because he had Watari watching over him? How many children hate L's guts simply for existing and unknowingly causing them to suffer?

L has a chance to fix one wrong, and he supposed he'll have to live with that. He gave Beyond the ending he wanted— Beyond got to change the world and fool the only other person who could have killed L. He wants to give a living, breathing person a chance at a better life. Light is the perfect candidate— an Omega whose only other option was suffering. L must do everything perfectly. He has to give Light everything he needs to succeed and keep him happy.

L closes his eyes, but not before seeing Giovanni settle into the seats behind them. He'll watch them both, making sure nothing happens to the World's Greatest Detective or Kira. Giovanni remains quiet, and L falls asleep for the first time in days.

+

"Wake up, Light-kun." L gives Light a curt nod when he sees the Omega's eyes open. He undoes the belt that held Light in place, offering Light a hand. Light grabs onto L's outreached hand, allowing the Alpha to help him stand and regain his balance. "You may feel groggy for the next couple of days. Jet lag and time zone differences."