Cooking Lessons

Começar do início

“You’re late.” Says the man leaning on the maitre d stand with his arms crossed. Pai starts to say something but Rain waves him off. He lowers his hood, taking off his sunglasses and mask, before facing the man.  

“I’m sorry, it won’t happen again.” Rain says. Rain has done his homework and he knows who the man is. “I’m Rain, should I call you chef?” 

The man looks surprised at this, he studies Rain for a minute then says, “You can call me P’Phayu.” 

Another man moves forward, “I’m Sky, I will be showing you the basics of the kitchen.”

Phayu stands up straight at this, “I will teach him myself.” he says. Sky looks at him surprised.

“That’s not what we discussed.” Pai says more in confusion than anything. 

“I’ll teach Rain or we call the whole thing off.” Phayu says. 

“It’s fine.” Rain says, “if that’s what P’Phayu wants. Is there a spare locker I can stow my things in?” 

“I’ll show you,” Sky says. He still seems a little dazed by this change in events. He is giving Phayu an inscrutable look. 

Rain pulls off the hoodie and shirt. Sky finds a restaurant t-shirt and apron to fit him. 

“Today you will be more or less observing,” Sky tells him. “We will get very busy in a couple hours so try your best to stay out of everyone’s way. Tonight after we close you’ll have your first lessons.”

Rain nods at this. This isn’t his first time observing people at work, he has done it for roles before and he knows how to be unobtrusive while people do their job. He is prepared to stay back and observe the kitchen staff at work but as soon as he enters the kitchen P’Phayu says, “Don’t just stand there, make yourself useful.”

“Yes, P”Phayu,” Rain says automatically, “How can I help?” 

P’Phayu directs him over to a gigantic mortar and pestle, “Grind these spices, they are already measured out.”

Rain isn’t prepared for how heavy the pestle is but he does his best to grind the spices. P’Phayu tuts at this and stands behind Rain putting his arms around him and taking the pestle from him. “This sort of pestle is meant to be used like this.” Rain finds it distracting to have the chef plastered to his back, he can feel the firm muscles of the man’s chest moving as he works. Rain tries to concentrate on the quick motions he makes pulling the pestle up and bringing it down hard on the spices until they are quickly pulverized into a fine powder. 

He directs Rain to a second slightly smaller mortar and pestle full of spices. “Try that one.” Rain is able to mimic P’Phayu’s motion. Rain soon has a pile of spice dust and Phayu gives him a smile and says “Good job.” Rain feels a warmth spread through him at this. 

Once the restaurant opens no one has time for Rain so he sits in the corner with a pile of handwritten recipes P’Phayu has given him to study. Occasionally he takes a break to watch the activity in the kitchen with interest. His eyes find P’Phayu most often. Every move the man makes is efficient. Whether it’s cooking something himself or directing the actions of Sky and the junior chefs. Every time he barks out an order cries of “Yes, Chef!” ring throughout the kitchen. 

After the restaurant closes, P’Phayu supervises his juniors as they clean the kitchen and stow away the unused ingredients. Once they leave he comes over to where Rain is and plucks a recipe from Rain’s pile. He says, “Come we’ll make this one.”

Rain’s eyes grow wide, he hadn’t realized the man would expect him to cook on his first day. 

"We'll begin by laying out and preparing our ingredients. When you do this first there is no frantic rush to grab something while your sauce burns on the stove." P'Phayu says.