The Easter Bunny's Tale

"Easter Bunny?" Rain asks eagerly. P'Pai is telling them a story about how he celebrated Easter with some of his friends when he was going to school in England. Rain knows the of the holiday, every one does, but he doesn't know anyone who actually celebrates it.

Candy, painted eggs, baskets and bunnies, it all sounds like so much fun.

"The Easter bunny delivers baskets full of candy to all the good little boys and girls. Are you a good little boy, Rain?" P'Pai said.

"Debatable," P'Phayu said causing Rain to pout.

"I'm good." He protested.

"Oh, who didn't do the laundry yesterday?" P'Phayu asks with a shrug, "I thought that was some boy around here, I guess was mistaken."

"I forgot," Rain whined. "I did it this morning."

"Careful or my Sky will get all the candy and leave none for nong Rain." P'Pai said causing Rain's pout to deepen.

"Stop teasing him, P'Pai." Sky says rolling his eyes. "There is no such thing as the Easter Bunny."

"Oh," Rain actually looks disappointed at this. Then he brightens, "but we can do that right, paint eggs, and make baskets? Please, P'Phayu. We could have an Easter themed party and invite all our friends."

"I don't see why not, it sounds like fun." P'Phayu says to Rain's delight.

Phayu shook his head in amazement as he looked around the living room. There seemed to be hundreds of bags filled with crafting supplies, candy, plastic eggs, straw baskets, egg dyes, and green crinkle paper made to look like grass. He moved to the kitchen where there were dozens of boxes of egg and bunny shaped cookies with icing. The refrigerator contained carton upon carton of eggs.

How many people was Rain planning on inviting to this party? He turned as Rain came in with two boxes full of bunny ears on headbands. Rain grinned at him happily and Phayu couldn't bring himself to say anything that would dampen the cute boy's spirits, even if he ended up spending all night dying eggs and putting together baskets.

Sky and Pai came to help and Pai volunteered Phan and Plerng (who whined the entire time that he was missing a date for this). So it didn't take all night at least but if Phayu never had to boil another egg or put fake grass in another basket in his life he would be happy.

The morning of the party Rain is up before dawn hiding plastic eggs full of candy all over the house, yard and even Phayu's gym. Phayu can't help but grin at the way he is dressed in a sweater covered in Easter bunnies, a pair of faded jeans and white sneakers with pink and white bunny ears.

Phayu makes Rain sit still long enough to have breakfast then helps him plate cookies and snacks and put up decorations. Rain still won't tell him who he has invited to this party but Phayu can't imagine him knowing enough people to need almost 100 baskets and bunny ears, not to mention all those eggs, bleh.

Pai and Sky arrive around noon with Phan in tow, apparently Plerng managed to escape. Three of the students from the university, Sig, Por and Ple arrive a few minutes later. Phayu is a little surprised when Rain looks at his watch and tells everyone to get ready. Ple and Phan take stations next to the baskets, Sig and Por take over bunny ears. Sky pulls Pai over to the snack table. They seem to know something Phayu doesn't, and maybe Pai who looks just as confused as he does.

Rain looks out the window and says happily, "they are here."

Phayu moves behind him to look and his mouth falls open, there are 4 large vans marked with the names of 2 different orphanages parked in the alleyway outside the house. Children of all ages pour out.

He suddenly feels a wave of love for this beautiful boy beside him. Rain hadn't just been excited for the party he had been excited to share this fun holiday with some of the local children. He had worked his butt off to make a good day for the kids. Phayu just hopes his house survives having almost a hundred children in it, although it has survived Rain up to this point so maybe it will be ok.

There seems to be children everywhere, their caregivers try to keep them in line but they are just too excited. Rain is just as bad, almost bouncing with excitement. There are plenty of games, an Easter egg hunt for the plastic eggs, snacks, and at the end Rain lines all the children up and divides the painted eggs among their baskets. Then the caregivers lead the now exhausted children to the vans.

Everyone helps with cleanup and they make a game of finding any plastic eggs the children had missed. Phayu and Pai watch Rain and Sky argue over who spotted a large golden plastic egg first.

"Rain did all of this?" Phayu asked in amazement.

"Sky said it was all Rain's idea and he recruited the others to help." Pai told him. "Your boy is something."

"He really is," Phayu says with a smile.

That night Phayu strokes Rain's hair. "Was it good P'Phayu?"

"Very good, good boy. You did a nice thing for those kids." Phayu tells him.

"Can we do it again next year?" Rain asks.

"We'll see." Phayu is already thinking he will make Saifah come and boil eggs though.

Love is a game (Love in the air collection)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara