Chapter 9

A certain omega was perched on one of the highest branches of the Air tribe's village oak, hiding in the shadow of its leaves and legs dangerously dangling off the edge. Eyes fixated on the skylight of the picturesque house of the ancient, the boy could make out the three familiar figures of his alphas. A gust of wind sent his way a sniff of the three peculiar fragrances, allowing the omega to inhale theirs scents after ten long years. It's been so so long. Their scent, their touch... he craved them, all of them. Chewing on his bottom lip in frustration, it took him all of his self-control to not run in the arms of his mates. 

.

.

The sudden call of his name interrupted his unruly train of thoughts.     

"Shoyo!"

Startled at first, the omega quickly relaxed upon recognising the gentle tone of his best friend. Visibly vibrating with excitement, the omega swiftly turned around to meet with the cat shifter, a beaming smile gracing his features.   

"Let's go back, Kenma!"

The latter threw a glance at the window, his eyes widening a bit after taking in the view of the three young alphas talking with the old lady. The ginger acknowledged the motion and could almost hear the gears turning in the other's head. A small chuckle escaped his lips upon witnessing once more the bi-coloured male in action. The latter has always been quick-witted and never failed to amaze Shoyo with his deductions and strategies. The ginger nodded his head to confirm the other' speculation. 

"It's them... my soulmates."

Kenma looked back at him, concern evident on his face. 

"Will you be okay, Sho?"

"I miss them... but the time for us to reunite hasn't come yet. They mustn't know the burden I'm carrying on my shoulders."

"You're so selfless..." 

"Am I really though? I just can't wrap my head around the idea of meddling them in this quagmire and put their lives on the line... They've dealt with the lost of their omega for ten years, but I can't imagine doing the same if one of them would come to disappear." 

"The circumstances aren't the same though... Not only would you feel devastated by their death, but also guilty because you irrationally think that this all circus is your fault when it's truly not." 

None of them wanted to go down that road. They've already had this conversation over and over again along the years. At last, Shoyo came to admit the truth behind Kenma's words, yet a part of himself couldn't let go of the feeling of culpability. 

"I resent him so much, Kenma..." 

"I know..."

Hair swayed by the morning breeze, the two remained silent for a few minutes to collect their thoughts. The eldest finally broke the serenity of the moment, in a last attempt to get through his friend's head. 

"No matter what, they'll be involved into it sooner or later, Sho. Wouldn't it be better to enlighten them about the current situation now?" 

The ghost of a smile appeared on the ginger's lips at the persistence of his friend, sensing the solicitude hidden behind such request. Even if the phrasing could sometimes seem harsh, Hinata never took offence of Kenma's advises knowing the faux-blonde was always looking after him. The two trusted each other with their life, sharing a bond close to a sibling relationship. 

"One day... But not today..."

Without another word, the younger gently took the cat-shifter hand in his own and guided him back to their home.