Ch. 13: What Happens in Vegas

Start from the beginning

Across the large, open floor plan are huge windows that showcase the Vegas strip at night, just as I imagined it. There are cozy sitting areas and a fireplace, and what looks like a conference room off to the side.

Now I get why Gabe called. Max has been hosting the meetings here. That's why he has the penthouse. It's a statement to the people he's dealing with.

And that's why Gabe had to check before bringing me up here. To make sure the people Max was meeting with were gone.

I imagine a group of Mafia dons sitting at the conference table, and swallow hard. I have no business being with a man as dangerous as Max. It goes against my safe, carefully planned out life.

Those thoughts just dissolve when Max moves closer to me again.

"I'll give you the tour," Max says. "Later."

My sundress is halter-style, with a low vee in the front. Max puts his hand on the narrow strap that goes around my neck and, I think he's going to reach back and unfasten it. I take an unsteady breath and wait for the smooth fabric of the dress to shimmy down my body and fall to the floor.

But instead, he runs his hand down one side of the vee, his fingers curling slightly under the fabric, knuckles grazing my skin. Everywhere he touches, my nerve endings catch fire. When he reaches the point of the vee, his hand moves slowly back up the other side.

Having his hands so close to my breasts has my nipples tingling and getting erect. He's looking directly at the effect he's having on me, which only increases what I'm feeling. There's no way I could be wearing a bra with this dress, and he knows it.

His hands travel the same journey two more times, agonizingly slow, and now his eyes are focused on mine. I watch the brilliant blue of them go darker.

"I thought—" I begin, but just then his hand dips a little farther and I can't get the words out.

"You thought," he says slowly, his fingertips moving over my breast—almost to my nipple—but then away again, "I was going to slam you against the door, rip your panties off, and take you right here."

He moves his body closer, and the smell of his cologne mixed with his own masculine scent is intoxicating. "Take you hard and fast and have you screaming my name when you come."

"Yes," I breathe. My knees go a little weak and stabs of arousal travel like lightning directly to my center.

He leans down, and I feel the slight scrape of his stubble against my cheek, his breath on the side of my neck. His voice is low and seductive. "You'll scream my name Hadley, count on it. But I'm planning on taking my time with you tonight."

While he's talking, one of his hands finally, thank God, closes over my bare breast. He pinches my nipple, tweaking it between his fingers until I feel suspended between pain and pleasure.

I just want more. I try pressing against him to keep his hand exactly where I want it, but Max is in control. He does what he wants, and he takes his time about it.

He's still working my nipple with those talented fingers when he slides the other hand behind my neck. My sundress slips down my body to the floor, leaving me wearing nothing but a lacy thong and my strappy high heeled sandals.

Even in my heels, he's still taller than me, and I arch my back, pointing my breasts upward. He's using both hands now, stroking both my nipples in that slow pattern, alternating between rubbing his palms over them and pinching.

I'm breathing faster now, and I hope I don't embarrass myself by coming just from his hands on my breasts.

Adding to the edge is the fact that he's still completely dressed, and I'm standing here in nothing but heels and a thong, my nipples betraying how aroused I am already. As much as I'm yearning to get his clothes off as well, this is just incredibly erotic.