24, routledge family affairs

Start from the beginning

"you know, I just realized. I don't have to worry about dcfs anymore" AJ spoke up as she settled on one of the outdoor chairs. John B laying on the couch and Big John taking the fold out inside.

The sky was dark now and the still air felt muggy against AJ's skin. The girl remembered the craving for a shower they all had on the island. Lack of power and surely water at the Chateau felt like a punishment.

"oh right, my dad can be your legal guardian"

"Well, what if I wanted a refund? It'd help pay the bills" Big John joked and the girl sat up with a scoff.

"I should've left the two of you in the antique shop"

"Hey! Don't loop me into this" John B sat up, his hands in the air.

"back on bills, neither of you thought to pay the electricity bill?" Big John stared at the two. Both cousins scoffing again.

"you know we were stranded on a deserted island a little longer than I thought"

"forty two days, I was keeping track" AJ announced. "besides, what was this about you selling me?"

"not selling, refunding. Big difference" AJ would have thrown her sweater at him if he weren't behind the screen windows. She rolled her eyes at her uncle before settling back into the chair.

"Hey John B, you, you know where that diary is, right?" Big John asked, looking out the window again.

"Well, we have a copy and it's in the Twinkie, which is probably in the impound lot with the police. Gotta figure that one out" John B answered, and the trio returned to silence. AJ almost started to actually drift off.

"Hey, pop?"

"yeah, kid?" AJ kept her eyes closed, still trying to let sleep wash over her.

"Remember the last time we were together? We had that argument?"

"yeah yeah, real knock-down-drag out" The two talking about fighting made AJ think of the last argument she and her mother had. Over something stupid, AJ was sure of it. She couldn't even remember what it actually was. But the fight was not pretty, and AJ wished she could take it back every second of every day.

"yeah. I shouldn't have said that. You're not the worst father ever"

"No shit Sherlock" Big John shook his head at his kid.

"Love you pop"

"I love you, bird"

"enough of this sappy shit. Let's go to bed" AJ was already letting out soft puffs of air as she dozed off.

The water felt refreshing as AJ swam the next morning, the sun entering the sky. She didn't notice the absence of her uncle, only the presence of her cousin still sprawled out on the couch.

When she brushed her wet hair from her face as she surfaced she could hear yelling. The abrupt change in the atmosphere had the girl whipping her head toward the Chateau.

"Dad!" John B called out frantically and AJ pushed herself closer to the dock.

"Dad! He was just here, he was just-"

"John B, where's AJ?" Sarah's voice met the girl's ears as she got out of the water, the teenager rushing towards the house.

"John B!" AJ let out, the girl filling with panic. "John B what's going on?"

"My dad, he was just here. I don't know where he went"

"What are you talking about?" Sarah almost launched into AJ's arms. Little did AJ know Sarah took her confusion as confirmation that John B was crazy, meanwhile the Routledge girl stood higher on her toes to try to check in the house to see if her uncle was in fact missing.