Chapter 51- Family Ties

Start from the beginning

"So, what's got you throwing up? I can sense your nervousness," Toph inquired.

"I... I'm going to meet my mom," I choked out between sobs.

"Well, that's great!" Toph exclaimed. "But why are you crying?"

I wiped away the droplets from my nose. "You don't understand. My mom is a terrible person. She's done awful things and ruined my childhood."

Toph's eyes widened. "I guess we all have our share of mommy and daddy issues in this group, don't we?"

I nodded, managing a slight chuckle. "Seems that way."

Toph sat down beside me, crossing her legs. "Well, I don't know the extent of what you've been through. When I first joined the team, you seemed so composed and put together. I think you're strong enough to face your mom. Some of us don't have good relationships with our parents or have parents at all. You only live once, and maybe it won't hurt to see her again. Maybe she's changed, but you can only find out for yourself."

My lips trembled. "Wow, Toph, that was a really nice speech."

Toph playfully punched my shoulder. "Hey, did it convince you?"

I shrugged slightly. "Maybe a little."

Toph rose to her feet, clapping her hands together. "Well, there you have it. I trust you'll make the right decision. You know what to do."

✼  ҉  ҉  ҉  ҉ ✼

Zuko, Sokka, and I were aboard Appa, soaring through the skies toward the Earth Kingdom. Zuko perched atop Appa's head while Sokka and I sat together on the saddle.

Resting my chin on Sokka's shoulder, I gazed up at him, our arms entwined, our bodies close. I then shifted my attention to Zuko, his hair flowing in the wind, and a smile spread on my lips.

Sokka's glare alternated between me and the back of Zuko's head. "Why are you smiling at him?" Sokka grumbled.

"I'm just reminiscing about how he used to chase us around, and now he's become....our friend. It helps ease my anxiety about my mother," I explained.

Sokka let out a sigh. "Well, if finding solace in staring at the back of Zuko's head helps, so be it."

I turned toward Sokka, our faces inches apart. Puckering my lips, I planted a gentle kiss on Sokka's lips. "Thank you for coming with me. I really appreciate it."

"Of course, Venus. I'm never leaving your side again. When you were taken during the invasion, I'm pretty sure I cried my eyes out for a week and a half. I don't think I've ever been that far away from you since we first met," Sokka confessed.

I gave him a light frown. "Aww, Sokka. You're so obsessed with me."

Sokka's cheeks reddened. "I mean—I mean, yeah, I am."

I leaned in, kissing his lips once more. "Well, I'm obsessed with you too. You're always on my mind, 24/7."

Resting my head on Sokka's shoulder, I closed my eyes, taking a moment to relax. I felt Sokka shift my head, and when I opened my eyes, I noticed he had placed my head in his lap, gently stroking my hair. "Rest," he whispered.