Chapter 51- Family Ties

Comenzar desde el principio

Frustration etched on my face as I bit my lip lightly. "That's because you had a better relationship with your mom. She loved you."

Zuko pursed his lips, his gaze downcast.

"Has your mother ever asked you to light her tobacco or buy lingerie for her encounters with random men? Has she ever asked her young daughter to sew up her wounds?" I continued, my voice filled with pain.

"Okay, okay, I understand. I'm sorry for bringing it up. I just wanted to let you know," Zuko replied apologetically.

I placed a comforting hand on Zuko's shoulder. "It's not your fault. Thank you for telling me."

Zuko nodded as Sokka returned to us.

"What's going on?" Sokka asked, sensing the tension.

"Oh, nothing much. Just that Zuko knows where my mom is," I replied with a shrug.

"Oh, oka-" Sokka's eyes widened. "Zuko knows where your mom is?!"

I sighed, raising an eyebrow. "He knows someone who knows her."

"Venus, this is a huge news! We have to go see her!" Sokka exclaimed.

I wrinkled my nose in disgust. "You too?"

"Well, yeah!" Sokka affirmed.

I bit the inside of my cheek, torn. "I... I don't know."

Sokka placed his hands on my shoulders, his voice earnest. "Venus, this is your chance to confront your mom, to ask the questions you've never had the opportunity to ask before. I would do anything to see my mother again."

Why does everyone guilt-trip me with their own mommy issues?

I let out a small sigh. "But I've been doing so well without her. I'm afraid that if I see her again, I'll turn back to my old ways."

Sokka shook his head. "No, you won't. I've witnessed your growth from the beginning. You're not going back to your old ways. I'm not telling you what to do, but I believe you might regret it if you pass up this chance."

I pondered for a moment. "Fine, we'll go see her. I might regret it, but we'll go."

Sokka pulled me into a gentle embrace, kissing my temple. "You're maturing so much. I'll go inform Zuko!"

I watched as Sokka hurried off to let Zuko know about our decision to leave later that night.

Throughout the day, my nerves consumed me. I couldn't eat anything; all I could think about was the woman I was about to meet.

The unbearable sensation overwhelmed me, and I rushed to the edge of the temple, throwing up everything that was in my system, which was only just water.

I vomited and cried, feeling utterly miserable. Suddenly, I felt a hand patting my back. "It's okay, pretty princess."

I looked up to see Toph standing beside me. "Leave me alone," I sobbed. "Let me cry and look ugly in peace."

Toph awkwardly ruffled my hair. "Good thing I'm blind, huh?"

I let out a quivering sigh. "I guess."