''I never asked her to be there every-time I perform. Sure she wants my attention.''

''Yes, but more than that , she gives hers to you. When someone gives you that kind of attention, the mind gets greedy and it wants more.''

''Come to the point Lakshay.''

''If you have no intention of taking it ahead with her, don't lead her on,'' Lakshay took a step, ''You might think no one noticed, but I did, they way you looked at her. As if she was your new conquest.''

Varun looked away. ''You are out of your mind.''

''I hope I am wrong. But if you make mistake, it will haunt you for life .''

***

Varun came back to present, how right Lakshay had been then, he was like a soul looking for one chance to pass over but his crimes wouldn't let him. Lakshay had warned and Varun had tried but Riya's unconditional support had made him greedy. He had been devoid of such emotion and his brain convinced it was okay to take what she offered without giving anything in return and today, he was ready to offer his life in exchange of that emotion again.

The sound of door bell made him leave all his thoughts and move to the door. His 2 friends and band members smiled at him. ''You need some band aid on it.'' Arun said walking in

''I am fine, what brings you guys here.''

''Lakshay and Nirali are on their honeymoon and we have our next show in two weeks. Shall we practice ?'' Varun nodded but then a thought struck him. ''Arun, there is someone you know who can help investigate in case I need help.''

''You need Riya's whereabouts in London.'' Varun nodded. Arun thought for a moment. ''Fine, let me speak to him.''

****

Riya pulled open the curtains of her cabin, it felt good to be back. Last few weeks she felt impossible to breathe with Varun being so close. She cursed herself for being weak after so many years. She had gone no contact with her parents  and rest of the family. They seemed to be okay as they never tried reaching. For them it was good riddance. Riya felt unwanted , alone and terrible. After so many years, she expected pain to be gone, but it was still there, deep in her heart and whenever she would be alone, it came right back like a dagger in heart. She stared at he mirror, reminding herself she was strong , she had come far and just then , a drop rolled down her and cheek and second followed. She kept wiping them refusing to cry but deep within, her heart wept silently. 

Riya often wondered why she couldn't find someone after Varun, she was attractive, she had always been. That had been a reason of worry for her parents and they believed she would use her looks to lure boys to bring shame. She shook her head, she knew the answer, she had been betrayed so bad by all she considered loved her that being alone felt safe.

''Mam, your patient is here.'' Riya nodded requesting her secretary to send in the patient. She felt the need to help other in pain, but wondered who would do that for her.

Riya stepped out late in he evening. She looked up at the sky stepping out of the subway and felt it was going to rain. She made her way quickly towards her favourite restaurant, she greeted the old English lady who ran the place with her grand daughter. Whenever they met, it was like old buddies catching up. Riya offered the young some beautiful gifts she had picked up in India and her face lit up.

''Can I give you an ice-cream for free?''

''No, you cannot. Just be the good person you are for life.'' The girl nodded hopping back in. Riya finished her dinner, greeted the owner and stepped out. her apartment was 10 mins walk from there. Pushing her hands into her coat pocket, she made her way when few whispers from the alley , she knew who the girl was and she felt it was her responsibility to look out for her. Riya watched as the young guy pressed his lips on the neck of the girl. Her heart shuddered at an old memory. She didn't see hem she saw Riya- Varun and the betrayal.

''Alice!''

''Hi Miss Riya, meet my boyfriend, Colton.'' Turning to the boy she said, ''She is Miss Riya, she got me those presents and helps gran and I''

Riya stared at Colton disapprovingly. ''Alice, your gran works way too hard for you to be spending time with this loser. She wants you to do good in life. Moreover, you can do much better. Just wait for the right time.''

Colton looked offended, ''You don't know me or our relationship. I won't betray her.''

''All of you say that in the beginning and run at the first problem.'' Riya's voice came bitter

''Look lady, I don't know who did what to you. But I have been with Alice since we were 4, Gran knows about me and knows how much I care about her.''

''Yes Miss Riya, he has been taking every opportunity to make big in music, to support me and gran'' Riya felt lava in her ears. It felt like a deja-vu . She felt a throbbing pain in her head. She wanted to say more but emotions just came back like a bolt striking  her hard. She felt her head spin and Alice caught her, ''Can I drop you home.''

Riya shook her head. ''I will manage.'' She gulped down some water quickly moving away. She felt a strange fear, a fear that everything she left behind for soon approaching her and she won't have time to escape. Riya picked up the pace and then started running, she didn't know why and whom she was running as all that bothered her was far away but her instinct told her that her was somewhere closer .

Dashing into her apartment she bolted it from top to bottom crashing there on the floor. She wanted peace , she wanted to be free , free from Varun, who had been chasing her for years now

***

It was 11 Pm when Riya decide to call the night. She checked her calendar , penned some notes into her diary and started pulling down the blinds. She was in her room when she felt being watched, Riya felt her heart picking up. Her body started sweating in fear. ''You have come far Riya. You don't have to be scared.'' With that she made a swift turn to look out of the window but found no one. She was sure she noticed someone but then it could have been the creation of her disturbed mind. She took a deep breath, pulled the blinds and got into her bed. She opened the book and started where she left, calmness seeping in finally. Around midnight, she switched off the lights giving in to the slumber.

Varun watched as the lights of her room went out around mid night. He smiled, he had found her and was now not going to let her go. He was ready to do unthinkable to have her forgiveness and her love. 

''What if she forgives you but refuses your Love?'' Arun had asked him

Varun took a deep breath. ''There is no if and but. It was Riya-Varun then and it will be Riya -Varun in future. I will beg her, will go any limits I have to, but she stays mine.''

Varun looked up the window again. He had no plan , no strategy, all he knew was that he was looking for her forgiveness and was going to get that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy weekend