chapter 6.

Everything that had gone down on Monday night had left me in a funk, despite having told myself to forget about all it. I told myself I didn't want an explanation, yet the questions remained present in my head, lingering, awaiting to be asked. What was it that Silas had turned into? How was that even possible? I tried to blame it all on the poison I'd consumed- whatever it might be. I was desperately hoping that, that was all it was.

It was Friday now. All week I'd refused to leave the house, not for school, not for work. Monday's events had scarred me. Despite having become somewhat confident and empowered after my conversation with Silas, as soon as he'd left my presence I felt timid and anxious.

I'd tried leaving the apartment building once or twice, but my feet seemed stay put behind the threshold when it came to actually exiting. I didn't want to face what was out there. I didn't want to encounter another one of those things.. and I most certainly didn't want to see Silas, who now knew exactly where to find me. Well, everywhere but here of course, though Dalia continued to see the man's brother so I wouldn't be surprised if either the sibling or he himself showed up here.

I desperately needed fresh air and Dalia refused to buy tea bags for me, so soon I'd have no choice but to leave, but for now, I remained in the comfort of my own bed. No monsters of psychos here.

This week off seemed to come to some use. I finished the essay I'd been working on. It had taken me a while to come off over my writer's block but now I was done and I could spend the rest of my time binge watching my shows, catching up on reading and doing some studying on the side.

I was in the middle of reading some of the notes Dalia had persuaded some guy in my class to take down when my roommate arrived.

Her first words after she slammed the front door behind her were, "Enough is enough. You look like shit."

I waited for her to come into my room before I responded, "Hey, how was your day? Mine was great, how was yours? Splendid, thanks!"

"You've been in bed all week! You know, I didn't mind it when you just wanted to lie about on the weekends and do nothing. I understand that, but this is getting silly, Nole. You haven't gone to school, you haven't gone to work, which makes you behind on rent."

I tipped my head back and sighed, "I'll do extra shifts next week. I just haven't been feeling up to going out recently..."

Dalia sighed back, sympathetically this time. She placed herself down upon the edge of her bed, "I get that you're upset because your first try and dating didn't go so well," That was my current and excuse. I was surprised she out of all people was buying this. Did she really think that I was this emotionally unstable? "But not every guy out there is a complete ass,"

Could have fooled me. "Look, Kaleb has invited me out to a party tonight. Not a club, just some gallery opening. He wants me there as arm candy to show me off in front of his friends. He also told me that he has an extra ticket and he wants me to bring a friend with him just in case I get bored."

Oh god. I hated where she was going with this. "I'm not really in the mood for a party tonight, Dalia."

"That's exactly what I thought you'd say, which is why I once again have the perfect bait to tempt you into a really nice suit I picked out for you and out of that door."

I put my notebook aside and sat up, leaning back on my hands. Dalia sure was good at tempting me. "Go on..."

Dalia let out a giggle of mischief before climbing over me and placing herself down next to me. I was nervous. "If you want that internship, there are people there who can get you in. Mingle about, drop your name. I know you don't like talking to people, but I'll be there at your side when you need help and this is too good of an opportunity to miss."