Chapter 36: The Dons

Adan

I stormed down the hallway and pushed both doors open at the end. Outside, limos waited by the Main Gate. I headed toward them, and Fernando Amaro stepped out of his car and buttoned his suit coat, flanked by two bodyguards who stepped discretely to the side. He was young to be a Mafia Don, but who am I to judge?

"Don Amaro!" I smiled, extending my hand as I walked through the gates. They had no clue about the supernatural world, and I aimed to keep it that way. "To what do I owe this honor?"

He shook my hand, smiling as he casually looked over the grounds and then into my eyes. "We're sorry to come unannounced, but I heard you had some trouble here a little while ago and the other Dons and I were concerned. We thought we'd offer our assistance, if you need it."

I let out a deep breath. Word sure travels quickly. I wondered how they found out. My heart sank as I realized that someone inside my Pack must be leaking information to him. But I'll deal with that later. Right now, I was just glad that they felt the need to come to my aid.

"Thank you, but the matter has been dealt with. Would you and the other Dons like to come in for a drink?" I gestured over my clothes.

He nodded, smiling. "That would be nice. Thank you."

"Please, pardon my appearance. But I wasn't expecting you." I was dressed casually in black workout pants, a vest, and a black T-shirt since I was taking care of Pack Business. I would have worn a suit if I had known the Dons were coming.

A smile lit his lips. "Not to worry! As I said, I apologize for the intrusion. But we were... worried. We'll see you inside." He slid into his limo.

I nodded toward the guards to let them in and leaned in conspiratorially to Mason as we started toward the door. "Send someone around the castle and tell everyone not to shift while the Dons are here." All we needed right now was for one of the Dons or their subordinates to see someone shift or shoot at a wolf on-premises. "Also, talk to Chef West and tell him to fix a nice dinner for the Dons and see that it's served in the private conference room. Also, ask Brenna to join us."

"Aye." Mason gave me a sly smile. "I'll make sure she's there."

"Behave." I rolled my eyes. All I needed right now was for him to tell Brenna something and make a spectacle in front of everyone."

"Who, me?" His eyes widened innocently, but he hurried off before I could say anything more.

The limos pulled in and were guided to park along the edge of the huge circular, cobblestone driveway that blended perfectly with the castle. A fountain with a stone statue of the Moon Goddess, Selene, was in the center, the Moon behind her head. Her hands were open, and water poured from her palms. It was beautiful and added to the old-world ambiance of the castle.

I waited at the top of the stairs as Don Amaro, Don Castle, Don Sky, and Don Gold all stepped out of their limos and headed toward me. I noticed that Fletcher Reed and Adrienne Kingsley weren't among them but quickly brushed the thought aside. I didn't expect Don Kingsley to be here, but Fletcher had been a friend... until recently. Since our last meeting, I assume all that has changed.

I extended my hand to all of the Dons as they walked up. "It's so good of all of you to come." Wyatt had walked in with them, along with a few of my other personal bodyguards, just in case. "If you don't mind, Wyatt will lead you to the conference room. Please excuse me while I go freshen up and dress in something more appropriate. I'll be right back."

"Not to worry. Take your time." Fernando chuckled as he looked at the other Dons. "I'm sure we can entertain ourselves until you arrive."

"There's a bar inside and a bartender," I replied. "Please, make yourselves comfortable, and I'll be down momentarily." I rushed upstairs, knowing Ray Weis, the bartender, would keep them entertained. He was a comedian at heart but was also a skilled fighter. He was usually funny, but on the battlefield, he was a monster.

I rushed upstairs, hurried to shower, and changed into a dark gray suit and a black button-down shirt. Then I slipped into a pair of black Italian dress shoes that I kept shined for such occasions. Even though I was a shifter and much more powerful than the humans, I wanted to keep up appearances. There were unspoken rules of etiquette among the Families, and I kept them.

After combing my hair, I knocked softly on the adjoining door.

Brenna opened the door, raising her eyebrows expectantly as she looked me up and down. "You're a little early for dinner. I wasn't expecting you."

Good. Mason hadn't told her yet. "The Mafia Dons are here, and we'll be having dinner in the conference room with them. Make sure to wear something nice."

She blinked. "And you're not asking me? Am I just supposed to obey your command?"

I smiled, enjoying her feisty badass kitten routine. One of these days, I would tear down her walls, and she would be mine. But today wasn't that day.

"Would you please do me the honor of accompanying me to dinner tonight in the conference room? We shall be entertaining the Dons of the Families, and it's customary to honor them with a meal, if you don't have any other plans." I placed my hand to my chest, bowing slightly as one corner of my lips curled into a smile.

She nodded as a sexy grin spread across her lips. "Okay. I'll be there. Give me a minute to shower and change."

"Good," I replied. "I'll meet you downstairs." I headed outside and over to her guards, standing outside her door. "Guard her well, and do not leave her side."

"Aye!" they both said in unison.

"And see that she comes to the main dining hall as soon as she's ready," I added.

"Aye!"

I headed down the hallway, eager for the Dons to meet my new Mate... er... woman. I just hoped that everything went well while they were on the grounds.

***

A/N: So what do you think will happen next?  Comment below and let me know. Thanks for reading!

NOTE: If you'd like to read ahead, then check out my Patreon!

https://www.patreon.com/user?u=82904554