Chapter 35: Impending Attack

Adan

"Everyone, please be seated," I announced over the microphone.

Mason stepped up beside me, his hands folded behind his back.

"Where's Brenna?" I asked before he could speak.

He shrugged, shaking his head, his eyes suddenly filled with concern. "She wasn't in her room?"

"No, and her guards weren't there, either." I looked around, and the room was nearly filled, but she was nowhere to be seen. "Find her."

"Aye." Mason headed down the stairs next to the stage. Suddenly, the sea of shifters parted in the center aisle, and she marched in, dressed in her practice fatigues with a sword sheathed at her side. Warriors followed behind her. A smile lit my lips. She was a born warrior and leader.

Relief swept over me at the sight of her, but I was angry that she was out practicing with the warriors when Darius had come to the gate.

Brenna turned her head and said something to the warriors. They nodded and stood along the wall since all the seats had been taken.

Brenna rushed up the stairs and walked purposefully toward me. "I'm sorry I'm not dressed appropriately, but I was practicing with the warriors when I heard the announcement and didn't have time to change." A crease formed between her eyes, tilting her head to the side. "What's going on?"

I wrapped my arms around her, pulling her to me as I held her head and body to my chest. "I was so worried about you!" I kissed the top of her head. "I'm just glad you're safe. But next time, let me know where you are."

"But I couldn't find you when I went out—"

"Then leave a note so I know where you are."

She pulled back. "And will I know where you are every moment of the day?"

I thought about it and nodded. It was only fair. "Yes." I ran my finger along her cheek as I gazed into her gorgeous blue eyes. All wolves in our world had blue eyes, but hers seemed to sparkle, but maybe that was just the Mate Bond. "It looks like we'll have to work on our communication skills."

She nodded, a smile lighting her lips. "Yes, we do."

I stepped away, my expression suddenly serious. "I have an announcement to make, but we'll talk about this later."

Brenna nodded, her eyes filled with concern. "Yes, of course." She started to walk away, but I caught her hand.

"No. Stay by my side."

She stared at me for a long moment and then nodded slowly. "Always."

Taking her hand, I walked up to the microphone, and she stood beside me. "Great Warriors of the Moon Shadow Pack, we must prepare for an impending attack."

A murmur resonated throughout the room.

"Quiet!" I held up my hands, and the room was suddenly silent. "As you may already know, a new Alpha is in town, and he brought his Pack with him. They're an Arctic Wolf Pack. His name is Darius Snow, and he's the Alpha of the Snow Warrior Pack." I paused, taking a moment to let it sink in.

"What does he want?" Simon, one of the warriors, asked from the side, his muscled arms folded across his broad chest.

A murmur of agreement resonated throughout the room.

"Quiet!" I bit my lower lip. "Darius was just here at the main gate a few minutes ago."

Brenna's head snapped up, worry coloring her eyes.

I squeezed her hand gently and then turned back to the Pack. "He wants to become the Alpha Supreme and be in charge of all Packs and all Alphas." I held my hands up to quiet everyone again. "He also wants to head up an Alliance where we can meet with all supernatural species."

"And what did you say?" Brody asked from one of the tables, holding up his hand.

"I told him to go back to where he came from, and that we like things the way they are."

Cheers and applause erupted throughout the room, reverberating off the walls.

I held up my hands again, and they all quieted. "However, I agree that an Alliance with the other species is needed. But we'll have to handle Alpha Snow and the impending attack first." I looked around the room. "That's why I want you to start preparing for either an attack on our Pack or an attack on his." I looked over at Brenna and sighed. Then I turned back to the mic. "He was the Alpha responsible for the attack on the High Claw Pack."

A murmur resonated throughout the room once again.

"Why?" Alicia, another warrior, asked from a table on the left. "Did he attack out of the blue, or did he have a reason?"

Brenna was about to say something, but I squeezed her hand, silently telling her that I would handle it.

"The only reason Alpha Snow gave for the attack on the High Claw Pack, Brenna's Pack, was that her father wouldn't comply and acknowledge him as the Alpha Supreme. So, he killed everyone except for Brenna, your Queen."

Shouts of "That's outrageous!" "Unheard of!" "Unspeakable!" "Punishable by death!" resonated throughout the room.

I held up my hands, and silence fell over the room once again. "That is why we must prepare. Brenna's father wasn't expecting a full-scale attack, and they paid for it, although they put up a good fight. But we will not be caught unaware!"

Everyone cheered.

One of the guards at the front gate rushed in, and Mason walked to the edge of the stage. They whispered briefly, and then Mason nodded and headed back to me. "I'm afraid we're not through yet. The Dons of the Families are at the gate and wish to speak with you."

I nodded. "Everyone, go about your business, but your first order of duty is to prepare for the attack. Capisci?"

"Aye!" they all yelled in unison and began to file out, talking amongst themselves. My Capos, or Patrol Leaders—as they're called in the shifter community—called their people to them, taking charge of their crews.

In our Pack, each Patrol Leader is a Capo, and they're in charge of a group that works together. Each group had duties to perform.

"Are you okay?" I asked Brenna, looking into her gorgeous eyes.

She nodded. "I will be, once we capture or kill Darius Snow."

I nodded. "Stay here. I have more business to attend to, but we'll have dinner tonight and talk."

She arched an eyebrow. "You're not asking me to?"

I rolled my eyes. "I am your Alpha, and you will do as I say."

She nodded, and then her head snapped up. "And how's that working out for you... Alpha?"

"Enough! And stay inside! I can't afford for you to be kidnapped again!" I growled. "Mason, come with me." At the end of the hallway, I pushed the door open so hard that it slammed against the wall. I had no desire to fight with my Mate, but she would see and respect me as her Alpha... if it's the last thing I do.

***

A/N: So, what do you think will happen next? Comment below and let me know. :-) Thanks for reading! More to come!