028 // SCHOOL IS IN SESSION

Start from the beginning

Maybe they should hire–

"Maybe they should look for a tutor if they're that desperate." Your heart nearly jumped out of your chest as someone else said your thought. Mona failed to keep her snickers suppressed at your surprised state.

"This is Teyvat's top university. Maybe they shouldn't be here if they can't keep up with their standards." The familiar voice felt like it was playing a trick with your ears, your head turning to its right to confirm the voice belonged to him.

While you were deep in thought, a certain grey-haired male occupied the empty seat beside you. His face had its familiar stoic expression, his eyes glistening with curiosity directed toward you. "The words were splattered across your forehead."

"How long have you been sitting there?"

"Approximately three minutes and forty-seven seconds."

"Talk about someone who pays attention to the time," Mona glanced up at Alhaitham, burrowing a hole into his forehead.

"There's a lot of things that I pay attention to. But I don't give my time to those who want to waste it." His attention stayed focused on you, Mona's comment going straight through him.

"You didn't pay attention to the punch Childe threw at you."

"Maybe you should've used your handy future sightseeing to tell me that. I don't have eyes in the back of my head." He fixed the hood on his green hoodie and pulled the strings to even lengths on both sides.

If only she knew that their fight was a staged one. The only reason they did that was just to throw Diluc into a frenzy. You shook your head, deciding it would be best to stay quiet.

The sound of Mona's chair sliding back made you look over in her direction, seeing the girl gather up her belongings before leaving the table. Your eyes moved back to Alhaitham, his stoic expression not giving you any hints.

But the real question was, how did he know you were here?

And then it dawned on you.

You told him you spent your free time in the study hall near your business management classes on campus. And for someone as smart as him, finding out which hall you were talking about would be a cakewalk.

"Didn't you say if I tried figuring out your major you would put a restraining order on me?"

"You mentioned the hall you spent your free time in. Is it not okay for me to come visit you?"

"No, but–"

"I can leave if you want."

You raised your right arm, your hand forming into a fist. "You make me frustrated."

"The feeling is mutual."

"Are you really not going to give me any hint about your major?"

"It's plural."

"What's plural?"

"I don't know, you tell me."

"That's why I'm asking you."

Alhaitham placed his hand over your fist that was inches away from the side of his face. "The word in the question you asked is plural. That's your first hint. If you still can't understand what I mean, then there is really no hope for you."

You blinked once, then twice before your mouth parted slightly. Your reaction caused the corners of Alhaitham's lips to raise slightly. "Majors?"

"Correct."

"Majors. As in, you are studying more than one?"

"That is correct."