8 - The Dream Hunt

The soft morning breeze had always calmed Aha'ri, whether she was flying through the clouds with Kilvan or sitting on the edge of her floating rock hiding spot. However, this morning, the gentle wind was doing very little for her racing thoughts.

Her argument with Neteyam yesterday stuck with her like sap on her hands. He was arrogant and annoying and she couldn't stand to be around him. He has been desperately trying to win her back and Aha'ri didn't know why. All she knew was that he was failing miserably.

But on the other hand, aside from his arrogance, he had been relatively nice to her. She wanted more reasons to hate him, other than the obvious fact that he almost got her killed, but couldn't find any and it was causing her blood to boil beyond reason.

Behind her, she heard a voice call out, "Aha'ri?"

She recognized the voice anywhere and turned to see her sister, slightly out of breath.

"Lurei? What are you doing up here? How did you get up here?"

She hooked a thumb over her shoulder, "I climbed. And no one has seen you since you ran off during the celebration. I figured I knew where you went and wanted to make sure you were okay."

Aha'ri returned her gaze to the orange and pink sunrise to hide her scowl. "Is Kiri coming too?"

"No, I told her to stay back, with much convincing."

Aha'ri rolled her eyes and let out a big sigh. Of course she wanted to come, so she could tell her that it was only a joke.

Lurei carefully sat down next to her, dangling her feet off the edge. "What's wrong?"

"What's wrong?" Aha'ri scoffed. "You all left me alone with Neteyam. The one person I hate in this entire village." She bent her legs and hugged her knees to her chest as her tail began to twitch behind her.

"We thought it would be funny," Lurei shrugged with a deflated tone. Hopefully, she knew how much it affected her.

"Well, it wasn't." Aha'ri rubbed her temples in an attempt to massage out the headache already starting to form. "I can't stand him, or his arrogance, or the way he teases me. I hate how he never apologized for what he did to us until I basically had to coarse it out of him last night. I hate how he looks at me. And I hate how perfect he is."

She paused, realizing she didn't fully think through that last statement.

"Wow," was all Lurei said.

Aha'ri blinked and continued, "And...Kiri knew that and still told everyone to leave me there with him."

Lurei began to play with her loincloth, "Can I be honest?"

"No."

Lurei scooted closer to her, trying to get her to listen. "Aha'ri please."

Aha'ri scooted away and shook her head, "You're just as guilty, Lurei. You left with them."

"I'm sorry," Lurei said softly, resting a gentle hand on her shoulder. "I really am. I didn't know you hated him that much. But-"

"But what?" Aha'ri finally met Lurei's gaze. She couldn't understand how she didn't hate Neteyam as much as she did. "Neteyam almost got us killed. More importantly, almost got you killed. I cannot forgive him for that."

Lurei's brows curved upward, "But he apologized. When Kiri and everyone left, I snuck back to check on you guys. I heard him; he sounded genuine Aha'ri. He looked genuine. I think he really meant what he said."

Aha'ri scoffed, "So you're taking his side now? After what he did?" Her own sister doesn't even understand the pain that male has put her through. Why doesn't she feel the same sentiment?