|| 32. Just A Memory

Start from the beginning

They waited until they were certain the Basilisk's massive form had moved far enough away. Y/N signaled to Harry, nodding to indicate they should backtrack the way they had come. They hurried back towards Tom, who stood menacingly over the weakening Ginny. Harry knelt beside the girl, gently caressing her cold hands.

Y/N's fists clenched with anger as she shot a cold glare at Tom. "Yes, the process is nearly complete. In a few minutes, Ginny Weasley will be dead. And I will cease to be a memory. Lord Voldemort will return, very much alive."

As Harry muttered softly to Ginny, they were suddenly startled by a loud splash. Large drops of water splattered on their robes, and they turned in alarm. The Basilisk had leaped out of the water, screeching and roaring in fury.

Y/N's jaw clenched as she took a step back, her eyes darting around in panic. She ran to the side of the Chamber, nearly pressing her back against the wall as the Basilisk closed in on her. Panic surged, and she desperately tried to focus, attempting to activate her "Phoenix Burst" skill. However, the overwhelming fear and panic made it difficult for her to manifest enough energy.

Mumbling under her breath, Y/N struggled to control her fear when suddenly Harry appeared and slashed at the Basilisk with a glowing silver sword. Y/N furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, her eyes widening as the sword drew blood from the Basilisk, causing it to screech in pain.

"Where'd you get that from!?" Y/N asked, running towards Harry.

"I don't know! I got it from the Sorting Hat!" Harry exclaimed, the two of them running together. He explained, "I was just... begging someone to help me, to save us, and then it appeared inside the hat!"

Y/N quickly formulated a plan. "You go to the other side of his face! I'll go left!" Harry nodded in agreement. They climbed the face of Salazar Slytherin, using his beard almost like stepping stones. 

Harry swung his sword with heavy grunts, putting all his body weight into each swing, while Y/N sent steaming hot firebolts that burned patches of the Basilisk's skin. The giant serpent writhed and screeched in pain, desperately lunging at them, but its blindness hindered its aim, causing it to repeatedly strike the chamber's wall.

The Basilisk lunged towards Harry, but he swerved to the side, narrowly avoiding its deadly fangs. Desperately, he clung to whatever he could find to pull himself up, finally grabbing one of Salazar Slytherin's intricately carved hair strands. However, the Basilisk continued to attack, making it nearly impossible for Harry to focus on his task. He hung by one hand, his life teetering on the edge.

"Harry!" Y/N's voice rang out, intentionally making noise to divert the Basilisk's attention away from him.

The Basilisk turned its massive head towards Y/N, hissing and roaring in her direction. Meanwhile, Harry reached the top of the statue's head, gripping the sword tightly in his hand. Y/N, in her efforts to distract the Basilisk, dodged its lunges, some of its scales grazing her and causing her robes to tear slightly. She whimpered in pain but refused to back down.

"Come here, you stupid great oaf!" Harry shouted, determination burning in his eyes. He swung the sword with all his might, the Basilisk roaring menacingly, briefly causing him to hesitate. But Harry's resolve held firm as he regained his composure and swung the sword as fast and hard as he could.

Suddenly, the Basilisk nudged Harry with its snout, causing him to lose his grip on the sword and fall back. Y/N's eyes widened in alarm as the Basilisk closed in on Harry. She had to act quickly. Y/N reached out and grabbed the sword, her brow furrowing in concentration as she took a deep breath.

"Harry, I don't know if this will work, but no matter what, hold onto the sword as long as you can!" Y/N exclaimed urgently. Harry looked at her with confusion, unsure of what she was planning. But he nodded in response.