|| 31. The Mightiest of All Four

Start from the beginning

"What's this?" Ron inquired.

"It's snake skin," Hermione replied matter-of-factly.

Ron's eyes widened in astonishment. "Bloody hell! Whatever shed this must be at least 60 feet long, if not more!"

Suddenly, a loud thud resounded, causing Y/N to whirl around. Lockhart was sprawled on the ground, prompting her to furrow her brow. She exchanged puzzled glances with Hermione and Ron, both of whom regarded the unconscious man with indifference.

"Heart of a lion, this one," Ron commented with a hint of sarcasm and an eye roll.

"Let's keep going," Hermione suggested, but before they could proceed, Lockhart abruptly regained consciousness, seizing both of their wands and aiming them threateningly at the quartet. Y/N swiftly rose to her feet, while Harry drew his wand in response to the sudden threat.

"The adventure ends here, children," Lockhart menacingly declared. "Don't fret; the world will know our story—how I was too late to save the girl, how you four tragically lost your minds at the sight of her mangled body."

Lockhart fixed his gaze on Harry and taunted, "So, you first, Mr. Potter, say goodbye... to your memories!" He waved his wand and incanted, "Obliviate!" A green flash burst from his wand, but it rebounded on him, his spell directed back at himself due to the use of Ron's broken wand.

With Lockhart sprawled on the floor, a rumbling echoed through the chamber, and debris began to fall from the ceiling. Y/N rushed toward Hermione, but before she could reach her, the path was blocked by tumbling stones. Harry acted quickly, forcing Y/N to the ground to shield her from the falling rocks.

The rumbling continued for a few more seconds, filling the air with dust and ash that made the four cough violently.

"Harry!" Hermione and Ron's voices called out. "Y/N!"

Harry helped Y/N to her feet and rushed toward the source of the noise. "Hermione! Ron! Are you two okay?" she shouted, pounding her fists against the rocks.

Lockhart, awakening from the memory charm, looked around in confusion and asked, "Hello, who are you?"

Ron appeared perplexed and tilted his head. "Ron Weasley, and Hermione Granger."

"Really?" Lockhart inquired. "And, uhm... who am I?"

Hermione's eyes widened. "Lockhart's memory charm backfired, he hasn't got a clue who he is!" she exclaimed, pointing at the man as if he was ludicrous.

"Are you two okay?" Harry called out, his hand gripping the rough stones.

"We're fine! This guy, on the other hand, isn't so lucky. He obliviated himself!" Ron responded, Lockhart looking dazed as his eyes darted around, birds flying around his head.

"It's quite an unusual place, isn't it?" Lockhart remarked, picking up a stone and playfully bouncing it in his hand, chuckling to himself. He turned to look at the two. "Do you live here?" he asked.

Ron took the stone from Lockhart's hand. "No," he replied flatly.

"Really—ugh!" Lockhart's eyes rolled back as Ron smacked the back of his head with the stone, rendering him unconscious once again. Hermione gasped, Harry frowned, and Y/N's lips curled in disapproval.

"Ron!" Hermione scolded, covering her mouth in shock.

"What do I do now!?" Ron exclaimed, looking up at Y/N and Harry from the small space that revealed their faces. He appeared wide-eyed and almost shocked by his own actions.

"You two wait here. Try to move some of these rocks. Harry and I will search for Ginny!" Y/N instructed, exchanging a glance with Harry as he helped her to her feet.