8.

luke

Jealousy is a funny thing.

I'm at this party - of course the entire team is here along with some football guys because we both won games last night.

Lily walks in wearing this stunning black dress but she walks in with JJ fucking McCarthy. Her arm is looped around his and I hate every minute of it.

Now, they are talking closely and he's making her laugh. Like really laugh. It reaches her eyes and everything. And every time she does laugh, she hits his chest.

So, I'm deciding to drink my jealousy - pain, or whatever - away. I'm on my fifth beer and it's only 11:30.

"Someone seems jealous." Duker says elbowing my side. I don't steer my eyes away from Lily and her new boyfriend.

"I- I'm not jealous, alright?" I stop talking, I feel like I'm going to throw up. "I'm fine." My words come out slurred. When was the last time I ate?

"Dude, you need to sit down and sober up. I'm gonna go get you some food." Duker says looking at my slouched posture.

"I don't need food, I am f-fine, Dukes." I say waving him off. When did I get so drunk? My head feels heavy and light all at the same time. My stomach feels like it's about to explode.

"Yeah, funny. Go sit down, I'm gonna get you a sandwich or something." He says and then disappears.

"Lily!" I wave to her with the cup in my hand, beer spilling over the top. She looks away from JJ and at me, finally. "Nice boyfriend!" Angry and drunk do not mix well, at all.

The next thing I know, I'm on the couch with a sandwich in my hand. It tastes pretty good, but the drink I have doesn't. It's not beer, and it's gross.

After I finish the sandwich, I throw it all up and suddenly I feel lightheaded and tired all at the same time.

- - -

I wake up with a pounding headache and Ethan gives me an Asprin. "Holy shit, how much did I drink?" I sit up from the couch - no one besides the team is here. I have no clue what time it is, either. My phone, which I can't find, is most likely dead.

"Too much." Rugter says. He hands me my phone, which - as I predicted - is dead. "Come on, you need some air."

I get up from the couch slowly due to the ponding headache I'm feeling and make my way outside. The cold air feels great.

The rest of the team is sitting around outside, and that's when I notice Lily sitting on the steps with her legs crossed. She's still wearing that dress, and thankfully McCarthy isn't in sight.

She looks at me with an unreadable expression then looks away. That's weird. I've always been able to read her even if it takes a while, why can't I now?

"Couldn't party with the big guys, could you, Moosey?" Mark asks with a chuckle.

"Fuck no." I say sitting on the bench. I feel gross and tired despite the fact that I just slept. I don't drink a lot, and when I do, it's not much.

"What's your favorite thing coach says?" Ethan says joining us outside. He leans against the wall.

"Give me nothing more, nothing less, just your best." Mark says. Everyone murmurs in agreement, clearly nobody got as drunk as I did. Then again, no one got as jealous as I did, either.

"So why'd you drink so much anyway?" Frank asks. The wind blows making it slightly colder. I could never answer that question honestly even if my mom asked it.

"I dunno." I shrug my shoulders. Lily rolls her eyes, but I chose to ignore it. I'm not the one that- I'm just gonna leave it. It's not like we are dating. "I guess I got carried away."

"I call bullshit." Lily says standing up from her sitting position and she walks down the steps.

"What's that supposed to mean?" We migrate to the yard away from the porch, the group follows. If she's gonna pick an argument, I'll fucking argue.

"Nothing." She said dismissing it, but it's certainly not nothing. I hate how she can see right through me most times.

"Okay.... Lily, what did you do before college?" Frank asks. Fucking clueless.

I, along with Rutger, Duker, Mark, and Ethan give him a look, but clearly he doesn't notice it.

"I, um, I lived in Michigan before I came here, so yeah." She says looking at the ground. Maybe Frank would leave it at that and take a hint, but he doesn't.

"Luke lived there too, didn't you, Luke?" Frank says looking at me. I give him another look, but I'm questioning how he got into college now.

"Did you guys hang out and stuff? Michigan is pretty big, maybe you didn't know each other." He says.

"We knew each other." She says quietly. Thankfully, no one else heard it but me. And if they did, they ignored it.

We toss around mindless questions, none too deep. Some of us lay down, some sit, and some continue to stand. I sneak glances at Lily, but she doesn't bother to return them.

I can't ignore how pissed off she looks, though. But there's also something else there on her face that doesn't scream I'm pissed off! I can't put my finger on what it is, though.

You know how I said mostly mindless questions? Well the next one doesn't have such mindless answers.

author's note:

sorry for the short chapter but the next chapter will make up for it :) idk if i mean that in a bad way or a good way

idk... a character hasn't died yet