Chapter Six

Sorry for the odd spacing in the previous chapter... But look at the cover! It's by @LightningStrikeTC and look how wonderful it is! Now, onto the story! That was my first author's note. Wow. Anyway, please remember to vote and comment! Thanks for reading! NOW, onto the story!
---

"What are we supposed to do with him now?" Shadepaw made out the voice of a tom, his eyes fluttered open weakly and he made out the form of a big, bulky grey tom, talking to the tortoiseshell she-cat that had kidnapped Shadepaw. A wave of heat and dizziness flood through Shadepaw's veins, and Shadepaw closed his eyes once more. He had no power at the moment- and no consciousness either. Shadepaw felt his paws go limp and his head roll back.

***

"Shadepaw," he heard a familiar hiss of the she-cat- Mapleshine, was it? "Shadepaw, open your eyes." Mapleshine demanded, Shadepaw could feel her breath tickling his ear and he twitched his ear to send the feeling away, not wanting to see where he was or what he had become, Shadepaw rolled his head to the other side.

"Shadepaw- you are in my control, this is no time for you to act stubborn." Mapleshine chided lightly, although Shadepaw could imagine the fury in her yellow eyes and her claws gripping the ground below them in frustration. Shadepaw was about to relieve a crack of the amused smile bubbling inside him when his mind registered something new.

Ground... Shadepaw realized, Mapleshine had no possession over him! He was on solid ground! A new burst of confidence surged through Shadepaw's bones, "Liar." Shadepaw hissed in the direction of the she-cat, without opening his eyes.

"I don't lie!" Mapleshine said smugly. But Shadepaw heard her mutter, "At least I'm not lying right now." Fear began to crawl up Shadepaw's spine and he felt like he wanted to double back into his fluffy black pelt and disappear. Shadepaw slowly opened his yellow eyes.

Horror-stricken Shadepaw found himself looking at the legs of Mapleshine, he has to tilt his head upwards to meet her bestowing gaze looking down upon him- literally. Shadepaw slowly swung his head around, to make sure he wouldn't go unconscious again in case of quick, rough movements.

He was not only on the ground- he was also in it. A fox-length of dried dirt and mud covered Shadepaw's legs, Shadepaw began to thrash around, earning a smug smile from Mapleshine. But the heavy layer of dirt wouldn't budge.

"What going on!?" Shadepaw hissed, his frustration beginning to show through his voice. "What have you done time you arrogant piece of loaded fox-dung?"

"I assured that your escape is..." Mapleshine paused, before looking at Shadepaw innocently. "Impossible."

Shadepaw began, "Mapleshine! You have better let-"

"My name is Mapleshade." Mapleshade interrupted, her claws and ears twitching irritably. Shadepaw looked up at her face.

That would have a better fit than Mapleshine. Shadepaw's mind pointed out. Instead he continued with his previous phrase, "Let me go, I have business to attend to."

"Like that little she-cat?" Mapleshade snorted, her tail waving dismissively. Shadepaw felt his heart slow and tighten. Mapleshade knew who Applekit was? That would cause problems for him, problems greater than Shadepaw could imagine. He could already see Mapleshade's victory smile as she stood upon a hill of the carcasses of her enemies. Shadepaw couldn't defend himself against Mapleshade, that both of them knew. But if he couldn't defend himself, how would he defend Applekit?

But Shadepaw kept silent, sending a look of defiance at the older she-cat, he made sure to keep his eyes cold, yet flaring at the same time. Shadepaw vowed that a scowl would permanently be on his face whenever he and Mapleshade would talk; to show Shadepaw's true commitment to representing his pure and utter hate towards her.