Mrs. Toretto smiled sadly and glanced over her shoulder towards the hall that led to the guest bedroom.

"That was sweet of you," she said softly. "I think she's having another rough day. She didn't come out for breakfast, and I even made cinnamon rolls today."

"Yeah, I called her a little while ago and she didn't sound too good. But I have a plan to cheer her up."

"Alright...as long as it doesn't make a mess in my kitchen- remember when you tried to help her make brownies?"

"Okay, yeah, that was bad...but it was a good distraction."

"I suppose," Mrs. Toretto said, shaking her head. "Well, have fun. I'll just be making dinner for the party if you need anything."

Tony nodded and then headed down the hall towards Layla's room, the box of cookies in hand. He knocked quietly, and after a moment heard her say to come in. Tony opened the door to find Layla curled up on the bed with the new service dog the agency had gotten her. She'd specifically asked for a lab, since that was the breed of her childhood dog, and she'd named it Blue. Blue perked up as soon Tony walked in- though he wished he could've said the same about Layla.

"Hey, Lay."

She almost jumped off the bed in surprise and then immediately tried to sink down into the covers.

"Oh...I thought it was your mom coming in."

"And you seem really disappointed that it's me instead," Tony teased, feigning hurt.

"Whatever, Toretto," Layla replied, finally giving him a half-hearted smile. "I just- I couldn't sleep last night, and I haven't eaten anything today- I probably look so terrible right now I'd make a freight train hit a dirt road."

Tony bit back a laugh.

"Okay, gonna have to add that one to my list of 'weird southern slang,'" he said, causing Layla to throw a pillow at him before he could continue. "But seriously, even if you didn't sleep for weeks, you could never look terrible."

"Thanks...but I think I'd be dead at that point," Layla smirked, turning away from him slightly. Maybe he was imagining it, but Tony was pretty sure she was blushing.

"So," Layla continued, stroking Blue's fur. "Any updates from Frostee?"

Tony hesitated.

"Miss Nowhere's still working to get him clearance from the agency to work on your case with the other scientists. They're just...not the most cooperative bunch. But-" Tony continued quickly, seeing Layla's hopeful expression fall. "Frostee did say he finished a pretty good digital prototype for a synthetic vision device. He just can't start working on it because he needs technology from the agency, and, um...yeah. I'm sorry- I wish I had better news."

Layla sat up and blew out a breath.

"No, it's fine. I'm used to it now, anyways. I just keep hoping the agency will start showing some decency to their employees. I mean, come on! Frostee has all these great ideas and they won't even give him a chance to help me? What the hell?"

"I know," Tony said, resting his hand on hers. "Even Miss Nowhere is pissed at how they're handling things. After I talked to Frostee today, I thought about sneaking into headquarters and just stealing the tech he needs, but...probably not the best idea."

"Aw, you would become a criminal for me?"

It was nice to hear Layla joking again, but the moment was short-lived. Tony's heart sank as he watched her smile fade and her brow furrowed again in frustration. It was time for his first distraction.

"So you know how you said you didn't want anything from the grocery store?"

"Yeah...

"Well I knew better than to believe that, so I got you these," Tony opened the box of maple-cinnamon cookies and placed one in Layla's hand. Her face lit up as she took a bite.

"My cookies!" She exclaimed, holding out her hands for the rest of the box.

Tony laughed as he passed it to her.

"I think you get more excited about these cookies than literally anything else."

"Duh- they're amazing. Thanks, Toretto," Layla said, giving Tony a genuine, heartwarming smile that made his stomach do a cartwheel.

"Anytime," Tony replied, scratching the back of his neck. "So, listen, I had this idea..."

"Okay...?"

"I wanna help you drive again."

Layla dropped the cookie she was holding back into the box tray.

"What?"

"I mean, why wait until the agency gives you a way to get your vision back?" Tony started, getting up from the bed and standing in front of Layla. "You're Layla freaking Gray- if anyone can drive blind, it's you."

Layla looked touched at the compliment, but still very wary of Tony's proposal.

"I dunno, Tony..."

"Come on, Lay, I know you miss it! And I'll be right there with you, there's nothing to worry about."

"Mmh, because all of your plans go off without a hitch."

"Ha-ha," Tony rolled his eyes at the comment, but took her teasing grin as a sign that she was ready to at least give driving a chance. "So...you coming or what?"

He reached for Layla's hand and she took his, allowing Tony to pull her up off the bed.

"This might be the best bad idea you've had in awhile," Layla told him as he led her out the door. "But if you let me crash, you're dead."

"Then you'd have no one to make fun of," Tony quipped, nudging her teasingly. "But, seriously, don't worry. We're starting out in a parking lot."

"Not much faith in my skills, then, huh?"

"Nah, I just don't trust myself to give good directions."