VIII. i want to hear you

Start from the beginning

You apologized on behalf of the boy after standing up from your seat, wincing when it made a loud screeching noise. Quickly as you could, you walked out the classroom wanting to avoid this sudden embarrassment as far as you could. You closed the door behind you and stared at the boy in front of you.

His shade of hair was in orange, styled messily. He wore the P.E. uniform: red pants and sneakers, white shirt that was topped over with matching red jacket that had his full name printed on the left side that you didn't bother to read. You stared at his form, your face slightly twitching into an exasperated look. You could only think of your artwork being ruined, just as when you thought you could finally have some peaceful time away from any chaotic events. Even if they were small and didn't cause that much trouble in your life, you preferred not to be part of it, thank you very much.

But it seemed like your wishes and hopes were not taken for granted by whoever watched over you. You've been having too many predicaments lately, can't you take a break?

" Fujita-senpai! " His half-frantic voice broke you out from your stupor, voice much less louder this time (which was a blessing to your ears, god knows why he just had to slam the door and call you as if you were going to die right there) — and in front of you, he bowed dramatically. So animatedly, that it made you ponder, were you real?  and do people act like this these days? He extended his arms towards you, fingers softly clutching a pink envelope. You exactly know where this was going.

" I've liked you for a while now, Fujita-senpai! " His feet shuffled as he didn't move from his position. You thought that the only thing that would make him do that was to grab the envelope in hand so you did, and you resisted the urge to wince at the shine in his eyes upon seeing what you did.

And it was quick to dull down by the words that came out from your mouth.

" I'm sorry, but I don't even know you. "

Maybe what you said was hurting and you would have sugar coated — but being brutally honest was in your nature, unfortunately for him that you let that statement slip from your lips. It was really true though, you didn't know him to some extent, everyone who had been confessing to you in your years in high school weren't even close to you as friends. And he's just been added to the list. Your eyes stared at the envelope now held by your hand before they drifted to the male in front of you. You expected to see the dejected look on his face, the people you had been rejecting in this type of circumstance would have had that face but to your surprise and utmost confusion, he grinned at you.

" You'll fall in love with me, I'll make sure of it! " He ran off after he said that and you could see him hiding his face behind the palm of his hands running off like a confessing schoolgirl. He went off just like that as if he were just a fifteen second ad on the internet and you could only stand still there being in the state of being dumbfounded.

" That guy's persistent. "

" Talk about getting rejected by an attractive upperclassman like that, I'd be doing the same thing if I were in his position. "

"  You find Fujita-san attractive? "

Craning your head towards where the voices were coming from, you only saw the door slamming shut. You heaved a deep sigh and ventured back to the art room, earning looks that lasted for a second before they disappeared from your form and to their canvases. You went back to your seat and continued where you were left, painting the blue with green that made it easily wipe off the mistake, now the incongruous smudge was nowhere to be seen.

Time passed slower today than yesterday  and you've spent about another hour and a half inside, your eyes lingering towards the other side of the room when you took short breaks where your school bag stood, accompanied with a black lunch box bag.