Part Two: The familiars

Melody asked "Austen, do you know this girl?"

I nodded.

"Well, who is she, tell us."

I sat down and told them how we met.

A few weeks ago, I was walking back home from the store, having gotten groceries for the next month. I saw a girl who seemed to be my age standing near the entrance holding a map. She looked worried about something. Suddenly there was a guest of wind, and the map slips out of her hands, and hits me right in the face, causing me to almost trip, and the sudden jolt of the bag caused some things to fall out.

The map is taken from my face. "Oh, I'm so sorry!" The girl says, surprised.

"It's ok." I answer.

"...Umm...Excuse me, but do you know where I am right now?" She sounds timid.

"You're at Oalgil academy. It's right over there." I pointed at the school from beyond the gates she stood by seconds ago. She turns to look at it, turning back quickly, her face now blushing with embarrassment. She said "Oh! I'm so sorry! I—I'm new here. I just moved here a few days ago. So, I don't know the area very well. And I didn't know where the school is—or—was now." She sounded timid again.

"Well, you're not the only person to miss a building right in front of you." I smiled. "...I'm Austen." I said, bending down to pick up my fallen snacks. I slightly wave my hand, trying not to lose my grip on the bag.

"Hee hee. Well, it's nice to meet you, Austen. My name is Alice." She smiled now, showing no timidness now. I blushed a little. She looked cute. And she had a nice voice along with her quiet personality. We talked a little bit, and eventually went our separate ways. But not before she asked: "Hey, will I see you when I start school in a week?"

"Maybe." I shrugged my shoulders. I didn't want to get her hopes up just in case.

Now she's here, hugging me. I could just feel my face begin to heat up. After hearing my explanation, Melody, satisfied, said "Oh, ok." She turned to Alice, "Welcome to the special class." She shook her hand manically. I think I knew why she was excited: besides her and Alice, there're only five other girls in the class. And none of them shared the same interests as her, except me, Justen, Lucky, and Kyler. So, I could tell that she was hoping for Alice to be similar.

She asked which seat was hers. "Oh, seats are assigned by your choice. The seat you choose today is your assigned seat." Justen answered, one eye open. She thanked him and sat in the seat nearest to me, the seat in front. She then asked what would happen next. "We have to wait for the teacher to come back, I guess." I answered.

We then started talking and doing our own thing. Until the teacher came back into the classroom. He sat down at his desk and counted all the students in the classroom. There's twenty in total now. He clears his throat and starts the class.

"Ok, class!" He said, sternly, getting everyone's attention. "Today is the first day of school: a new year for all of you! I hope you guys will use this year to try and better yourselves. I hope you call all get along. Now usually I'd like to start the day with something productive, but since it's only the first day of school there's not really any work to be done. So, for today only just do whatever you want. Just don't go crazy." He ended on an unfortunate tone.

Now, I actually know this teacher very well. He's Mr. Smith: a 30-year-old man with tan skin, short black hair, and a stern expression on his face. Some people think he looks scary, but I know that's not true. He's my parents' family friend. I'm not really sure how they met, but I do know they've known him for a long time. I still remember when I first met him.