Chapter 6: Relief

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, I understand that. I am pretty fun." She threw her hair back with a cocky expression. I laughed at her usual silly antics.

Suddenly, Maya turns her head to the side as of she's listening to something. She sighs and turns her head back to me. "Shit, I've gotta go. My mom's calling me."

"No problem. I gotta go too."

"I love and miss you," Maya told me with her usual sweet smile on her face.

"I love and miss you too." I smiled back.

We said goodbye and hung up. I checked the time, before slipping my shoes on and grabbing my bag. Then I borrowed the car and drove to the dojo.

When I got there, I walked around the side of the building and straight into the backyard. Sam was sitting on one of the decks, looking at her phone. Robby was looking into the koi pond with one of his hands lightly rubbing the back of his head.

I walked over to Robby, but he must not have heard me. "How's your head?" I spoke, breaking the silence. He got the injury from the fight at the beach. He turned around and faced me, dropping his hand to his side.

"Oh, it's fine." He put his hands in his pockets. "There's definitely a giant bump there, but it's not too bad," he said with a chuckle. I smiled at the good news.

"Hey guys," Mr. LaRusso yelled from just outside the house. "Come on over here."

Sam, Robby, and I all walked over, stopping in front of the deck.

"I know yesterday did not entirely go as planned. But, we are no worse off than we were before. I'm glad you three are here." He smiled at us.

Mr. LaRusso continued, "And I also know that we have a video of the altercation at the beach, which can, no doubt, bring in more students. But you have to remember: Miyagi-Do is about defending yourself and protecting others. Not seeking credit. Mr. Miyagi didn't recruit me. He wasn't looking for students. He took me in because I needed him. I came to him, not the other way around. It's time we be patient. Let those who need us...find us."

Mr. LaRusso paused, letting his words sink in. I thought about them. They made sense. Everything Mr. LaRusso as said has made sense so far. It makes me wish I had met this Mr. Miyagi guy.

"Excuse me."

We all looked to the voice. It was none of ours. Our eyes landed on some kid, who looked to be our age. He was tall, skinny, and he had dark hair. I also noticed he had a little bandage on his nose.

He walked towards us slowly. "Uh, it was unclear if the gate was the front door or if I was supposed to ring the doorbell." He stopped in front of us and exhaled some air. Robby and I exchanged a quick glance at each other.

The boy's eyes traveled to something behind us, and his eyebrows rose. He raised his hand and pointed, "Is that a koi pond?" We all glanced back at it, as the boy continued talking, "How much does it cost to maintain that?"

"May I help you?" Mr. LaRusso asked, slightly confused.

"Uh, yeah. I wanna... learn karate," he told us, his voice sounding a little unsure. But his tone didn't matter to us. We all looked at each other, smiles growing on our faces.