thirty eight: five years

chapter title: "five years" by david bowie

"What the fuck was that?" James wheeled on them as soon as they left the disco, standing out the front of the building in the dark, the only light coming from the bright neon signs above, casting a strange red glow over the seven of them.

"Err.." Sirius hesitated, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly. "What was what?" He tried, before wincing under the intensity of James' glare.

"You now bloody well what." James retorted, putting both his hands on his hips to stare accusingly at them. "We all saw you two snogging back there. Care to explain?"

Remus shared a look with Sirius, and was surprised to see the look of defeat in the other boy's eyes.

"May as well tell them everything now." Sirius said with a shrug, before he collapsed onto a bench that was positioned against the wall of the building.

Remus ran a hand through his hair, uncomfortably, before placing a reassuring hand on Sirius' shoulder. "Basically Sirius and I are kind of dating."

There was a silence as everyone but Lily stared at them with the same shocked expression.

"I...What?" James spluttered.

Remus shrugged. "It's a long story."

James crossed his arms. "So start talking."

Remus exchanged a glance with Sirius before sitting down on the bench beside him, and started to tell James and the others what exactly had been going on the past few months.

They all listened wordlessly as he spoke, latching on to his every word as Remus recounted parts of the story from the last few months. (He made sure to miss out some certain details though).

"You two are unbelievable." James said finally once Remus had finished talking. Remus felt Sirius stiffen beside him. He hadn't said a word throughout the past few minutes.

"James." Lily said warningly as she placed her hand lightly on James' arm as if to hold him back from something.

A look of surprise crossed over James' face as his eyes flitted between Remus, Sirius and Lily. "You never call me James." He said quietly as Lily raised her eyebrows. But then he shook his head as if not even this could turn his attention away from Remus and Sirius.

"I just..." He ran a hand through his dark hair. "Why didn't you guys tell me before?"

Sirius looked up at that, fixing his eyes on James with an expression that Remus could not quite decipher.

"Tell you before?" He asked, his voice coming out as barely a whisper. Remus laid a gentle hand on Sirius' shoulder, as he stared at James. "Why do you think? I was terrified you would act like this!"

James frowned. "I'm...not upset that you guys are..well..you know.."

"Gay?" Remus supplied.

James nodded as he ran a hand through his hair again. "Yeah... I mean, I don't care about that. Well I do, but I mean, it doesn't make a difference, it doesn't change who you are...It's just that...you didn't tell me? This has been going on since Christmas and I'm only just finding out about it? And you didn't even say anything! We just happened to notice you snogging in front of everyone!"

Remus frowned. It wasn't like Sirius to be so open about kissing him, usually his displays of affection were either strictly platonic in front of their friends, or very well concealed. It was only occurring to him now that the fact that he had kissed Remus so openly like that...well...had it been on purpose? Had he meant to do it so that everyone would see? Maybe this was Sirius' way of wanting to tell everyone about them. Or maybe he had just been caught up in their own private bubble like Remus had...