chapter 5

"Why did they find your DNA at the crime scene?"

Your eyes almost bulge out at her statement. "What? What are you talking about?"

You move forward and she recoils; like being around you scares her.

She stares at you, eyes hard. There's something else swimming in her eyes too; it looks like regret.

You stop in place, trying not to startle her. You get it; you do. It must be hard to trust anyone, after what Tara's been through. The fact she even agreed to be your girlfriend was a surprise; a pleasant one at that, but a surprise.

Nevertheless, it still feels like a stab in the heart when she takes another step back.

"Tara," You say gently, "I know you're suspicious, and you have every right to be. I'm just begging you right now to believe me. I had nothing to do with this, and I never will."

She's still stiff, that's obvious, but you see her eyes soften just the tiniest bit. It's in the slight crinkle at the tips of her eyes.

"I like you so much Tar, I'd never do anything to hurt you." You say, voice starting to choke up by the end of your statement. Your eyes are wide and pleading

Tara stares at you for a long time. Far too long for comfort, and then-

"Okay."

You breathe a sigh of relief, your heart swelling immediately. You step forward again, and Tara doesn't back away.

You're both silent as you take Tara in a bear hug, holding on for dear life. Her breathing is steady against yours.

"But if I ever find something more suspicious about you; I won't let you go so easy. It won't be pretty." She whispers, tone menacing.

You gulp.

-

Tara's unhappy with you; if that wasn't obvious enough from your last interaction.

You've tried to approach her 5 different times in the past few days. She's all shrugs and quiet snappy comments.

She does an amazing job at avoiding you, considering the fact that you guys live together. Well practically, anyway.

She manages to be out all day every day with Sam and turns the lights off in your shared bedroom the minute you enter. The only time she doesn't shy away from you is when she needs a quick release.

Hurt isn't the word to describe how you feel, it's more of a stinging, nagging feeling.

You'd trust Tara with your life, did she not trust hers with you?

It's starting to take a toll on you, the pushing away, the irritable quips; the only wanting you around when she wants to fuck.

It's not like you could contact your friends and leave...well you could, but that would only be putting them in danger. You didn't want to be the reason for anyone's inconvenience.

Though in the midst of it all, an unexpected friendship had blossomed between you and Ethan.

You'll admit, it started in a nerdy type of way. You were sitting in the apartment, watching a show on your phone in fascination. The rest of the group was also with you; but watching the tv, munching on the pizza you'd ordered.

They all acted the same around you, which leads you to believe Sam and Tara haven't told them yet.

Well, maybe Tara does care about me a little bit.

"No way! Is that Dylan Is In Trouble?" Ethan exclaims from behind you, catching sight of the YouTuber you'd been watching.

It's been so long since anyone had a real conversation with you, your head snaps to him and you nod excitedly.