The Beginning of the Quire Dynasty.

~

~

There it was, the world burning before his eyes. Highlighted perfectly against the dark sky, the screams of his now subjects fell like music to his ears. Flesh burned with bones as he bore a smirk, watching the fire he had unleashed upon the kingdom.
His fingers were entangled in the hair of the previous king, his dismembered head detached from his body. Alec hoisted it in the air, showing the people he had deemed pure enough to remain alive what he had done to their precious king.

He had emerged victorious in the battle of Niameda, a land he had longed to own, a land that was now his by whichever means he saw fit. Dropping the dripping head onto the floor he walked towards the throne. His vile demeanour was of no surprise to anyone, having heard the tales of his cruelty in the form of bedtime stories. They were used as incentive to get kids to sleep early.

The dark courtyard leading to the throne was now littered with flesh, blood and bodies of the army that his had defeated. A half-broken sword glinted in the corner of his eye as the moonlight filtered through the broken windows. Engraved with the name of the previous king the sword symbolised the now broken spirits of the people. Alec sauntered towards the end, inhaling the scent of fresh blood- one he called the fragrance of victory.

His blackened fingers grazed the royal seat, mahogany eyes taking in its elaborate carvings, his lips spread in a wide grin. Moving himself to align with the entrance he took his place, overlooking the massacre that he was the cause of, he was the creator of, his biggest accomplishment.

The land of Niameda was in peril, more so were the Odillia people. Amidst the raging fires and piercing screams, a group of such had managed to escape from within the compromised castle. Closing off the last underground route, they emerged near the banks of the cursed rill.

"That there is the Nara Grove, we must go around it. Avoid the cursed rill at all costs" Lily explained, her fingers pointing north. Bound to her body, baby Edrei stirred in her sleep due to the rocky path they journeyed upon. The way illuminated by only the dull glow of the lanterns the elders held, so as to stay under prying eyes.

The lot of people followed her every footstep trusting her to lead them to safety. Lily bore a broadsword, her ears on their tips, listening to every single movement around her.

Crossing over the rill, Jack held her arm and pulled her towards safety. Jack was her beloved husband and a trusted spy for the previous king. On his other hand was a small boy, wrapping his fingers around his father's thumb, he took pleasure in stomping on every crunchy leaf he saw.

The night was slowly growing quiet, owing to the aftermath of a deadly war. The fires had begun to go out, the burnt corpses turned to ash. An eerie chill had overtaken the people who walked silently, mourning the loss of many a loved one.

Clearing a path through the bushes Lilly heard an uproar. Rushing to the back of the crowd the sight she beheld made the blood in her veins run cold. A group of soldiers were rushing down the mountainside and headed straight towards them with drawn swords and war cries. Jack hurried to her side and upon viewing the situation looked directly into Lilly's eyes.

They talked without sharing a word, the expressions on their faces contorting from denial to anger to sadness and final acceptance of the situation. They pressed their foreheads together, tears leaking from the sides of their eyes. Their lips came together in a kiss they wished was everlasting, one they wished they could have sealed in a jar, frozen in time until the end of the worlds came.

Pulling away, A final kiss was placed on the forehead of the baby and the boy as they were passed to their grandparents.

Swords in hand, the group of people having been instructed to run as fast as they could without looking back, the pair forged their way forward.

The soldiers made contact with the land beneath the mountain and charged towards the only two people in sight. Lilly moved her arm forwards and pulled it back just as quickly. The first soldier impaled on her blade, the rest took a few steps back. Looking at her husband one last time they shared a nod before continuing to slice through every man that came their way.

Jack moved backwards from one and used all his might to kick him into the cursed rill, where the armour and skin of the soldier burned away as if the water were acid.

The couple's precise movements, slicing through the air and flesh, sprayed the grass with fresh blood as the fight continued.

Lilly manoeuvred under an axe that was headed her way, ducking under the extended arm she found herself facing his back. Before she found her moment to push her sword through his heart, he turned around, sweeping the muddy floor as Lilly fell to her knees.

Jack's name left her mouth in a scream whilst he struggled against the remaining two who had ganged up against him. With struggling breaths, Lilly called for him. A fire ignited within him as he backed away towards a clearing in the woods, slowly keeping his eye on the two as they avoided the rill.

Lilly dove towards the sword that had fallen beside her when the man above her stomped on her arm, pinning it to the ground. He picked her up by her hair and dragged her into the woods. She screamed for Jack over and over again but to no avail.

He used the only weapon he had to slice the throat of one of the men but was unable to reach the other in time. A sword went through his torso, emerging from the other side. Her ears fell prey to Lilly's screams and with that came strength to save his wife. He turned the hilt of the sword towards the man behind him and pushed it, impairing the man from the ability to walk, Jack left him there to bleed.

Lilly was thrown to the ground and kicked in her stomach as she struggled against the larger man. Scrambling to take breaths she counted these as her last moments, her lips uttered prayers. He towered over her, crouching with unspeakable actions on his mind. In a split second, however, she felt a large weight fall on her. A dead man. The soldier who had just tried to take advantage of her. He lay there, an axe, his own axe, sticking out of his spine.

Trailing her eyes upwards she saw Jack, bleeding out on the ground beside her. Her husband that had killed the soldier, now nearing his own death. She moved under the man, trying her best to free herself from his weight. Her efforts remained unsuccessful as Jack bled out near her. His eyes connected with hers, tears falling from both. Her efforts grew as the light from Jack's eyes began to vanish. Grunting and praying to the gods for a miracle she struggled with every last ounce of energy left in her body.

Lilly screamed for Jack, she screamed until her voice was gone, she screamed until every last tear had been wrung dry from her. Her husband had closed his eyes beside her, never to be opened again.

———————————————————————————————————————————End of Preface.

Hey Loves!

It has been so long since I've written an author's note and I cannot express how happy it makes me to finally have completed this after months and months of stress, mental health issues and writers block. I am so excited to present to you my latest brainchild, Ruin and Redressal.

I sincerely hope you guys like this and will stay with me along the journey to completing this book!

Thank you so much for sticking around and being there through so many challenges. It means the world to me.

Love,
Paridhi Prabhakar

Word count : 1378