Chapter Sixty-Seven

In the darkness, I had time to think.

Think about how I didn't mind that I wasn't awake. Time to think about how maybe this path would lead me back to Natasha. Time to think about what I had wished my life to be if Hydra never took me. Time to think about everyone else.

But most of all, time to think about how I didn't want to get back up, how I didn't want to fight anymore. This should be the end of my road. It would be a valiant ending.

My thoughts gripped me to my last bit of consciousness, and soon, I was hoping to let go.

Someone shook me, causing my eyes to open up. Causing the grip to tighten.

The first thing I did was cough. It felt like dust had been poured into my lungs with how dry they were.

Then, I focused on the figure who woke me. "Hey, hey, hey, you're all right, oh thank God," Tony said, relief flooding his face. "Come on, we've gotta go."

I felt my head shaking, and then said, "No, I can't... I can't..."

Tony was concerned once more. "What? What do you mean?" he asked, looking to see if something was physically stopping me from moving.

When he didn't think about was mentally. "No, Tony, I mean... I can't do this..." I breathed. Everything ached and speaking felt like a chore. Tears filled my eyes once again and my voice wobbled. "I can't keep fighting... and losing people... it's too hard..."

Tony kneeled down, helping me sit up some. "This timing is terrible, kid, but I get it. I know how hard it gets. But right now, as selfish as it sounds, is the worst time to quit. There is a fight ready to happen out there, and I can't do it without you. Once it's done, you can leave the world behind and live in the forest. But for now, we need you. I need you, kid."

The tears fell from my eyes, but slowly I felt more inclined to get up. "I don't want to lose anyone else, Tony. I can't."

He gave me a soft smile. "I know, kid. And I promise to do my best to make sure that doesn't happen. But for now, let's go win this, yeah?"

I nodded, and Tony helped me up to my feet. I groaned as I stood, finding several pieces of debris were stuck to me. Once those were brushed off, I followed Tony.

Where we arrived was not a pleasant location. Thor and Steve were already waiting there. Neither turned to see me, either, they just continued to stare straight ahead. I looked at what had captured their attention, and dread filled my stomach.

Thanos sat, quietly. His sword was in the ground in front of him, helmet resting on top. Patiently waiting for someone. Probably us.

"What's he been doing?" Tony asked.

A pause as Thor took in a deep breath. "Absolutely nothing."

"He's waiting," I said.

Another pause. "Where are the stones?" Steve asked.

"Somewhere under all this," Tony replied, gesturing at the decimated landscape in front of us.

A place we all used to call home at one point or another.

"All I know is he doesn't have 'em," Tony continued.

"So we keep it that way," Steve answered.

Thor sighed. "You know it's a trap, right?"

"Yeah. I don't much care."

"Good," Thor said. "Just as long as we're all in agreement." As he spoke, the clouds in the sky started to shift. Thunder roared in the sky, flashes of light in the clouds accompanying it. A strike came out of one, hitting Thor dead on. It suited him up, and he acquired his axe and his hammer.