Chapter 4.

Logan hissed as the heated needle penetrated the skin on the back of her neck, the doctor threading a needle and thread through the skin and muscle to close the wound caused by the blows her father had inflicted. Maya held her hair up with one hand and held Logan's hand with the other, wincing whenever Logan would squeeze.

Haytham stood by the window, back pressed to the wall and arms crossed as he watched the doctor work closely. Logan's grey eyes stayed downcast, looking more like a pale blue than the still silver with tears building thickly from the sting of the needle. Haytham ponders for a moment before swiftly crossed the room with long strides.

He kneels in front of Logan, and takes her slender face in his hands, noting how malnourished her facial structure felt. Logan then looked him in the eyes for the first time since they met two years prior, and noticed how soft his dark eyes appeared as he gazed at her.

"I will not ever allow that filthy man to lay another hand on you." He muttered.

Logan's eyes widened, and another thick tear rolled down her cheek. "You don't mean that, Mr. Kenway." She whispered, not believing him.

"And even if you do, once I am your wife I'm sure my mouth will force more hands." She finished.

Haytham's eyes burned for a second, angry she insinuated that he would harm her. "I would never. And if I ever should, you are to hit back with twice the force." Haytham nearly growled, the sound of his voice becoming so deep it sent a chill down her spine that made the doctor forcibly grab her hip to plant her in place.

This makes Haytham growl lowly before snapping at the doctor, grabbing his wrist forcefully and glaring at the doctor with steely eyes and a tight-lipped snarl. "If you wish to be a doctor for the order, consider this a test. Do not mishandle my bride or I'll mishandle your life." Haytham growled, making the man shudder in fear and nod.

"Good." Haytham said before letting go of the man's hand with a grimace as though he had touched something gnarly.

Haytham caressed Logan's cheek gently before bringing her left hand to his lips and leaving a feather-light kiss. He then steps back and allows the doctor to do his work, although he hovered threateningly to make sure the doctor didn't harm her again.

Once done, Haytham instructed a soldier to escort the man to a tavern. The red-coat did as he was told, grabbing the man by the arm and practically dragging him out of Logan's room.

Maya hands Logan a glass of water, and Logan gladly takes it.

Charles steps in, taking in the sight of his fiancé and the woman they both considered a sister sipping tap water from a glass cup.

Her hands shook lightly, anyone who didn't look closely would miss it. But Charles and Haytham saw it. Logan tried to steady her hands as to not worry anyone, but Haytham still saw how her frail hands trembled and took off his cloak and draped it over her shoulders.

A warmth settled in her core and she clutched the cloak close to her.

"Thank you."