Chapter 29: A Battle of Wills

Brenna

Adan stormed in, never taking his eyes from mine. "Sit down."

"No." I folded my arms across my chest. I was going to be treated as his equal, even if it killed me.

He clenched his jaw. "Please."

I stared at him for a moment and then sat at the kitchen table in the same place where I had sat before.

He tried to close the door, but it hung sideways on its hinges.

I rolled my eyes. One thing I hated about this world was having to deal with Neanderthals.

"I'll have someone come later to fix it." He sat across from me and folded his hands on the table. "Breakfast will be up in a bit."

I nodded once, sitting back in my chair. "What did you want to speak with me about?"

He tilted his head sideways, obviously considering. "I was thinking about something last night and wanted to run it by you. See what you think."

"Oh-kay." I sighed, relenting. "Would you like some coffee? I could make some."

He nodded. "In a minute. First, I want to talk."

I folded my arms across my chest, waiting for him to continue.

He nodded. "I was thinking that maybe compromise is the answer."

"Okay. I'm listening." I folded my hands on top of the table, leaning forward.

"I understand that you're strong and bullheaded—"

"And where is this going?"

"Just let me finish. This is hard for me." He clenched his hands; I would assume to keep from strangling me. But I could have been wrong.

I nodded. "Continue. Please."

"You're strong and bullheaded, and so am I. If we don't find some common ground, we could end up destroying each other, or it may destroy this Pack, which is something I just can't allow." He let out a deep breath. "So, I will allow you to work with the young warriors on one condition."

I sat up straighter, trying not to show my surprise. "Which is?"

"That you never engage in active combat unless it's absolutely necessary."

"But—"

He held up his hand. "Let me finish."

I stared at him for a moment and then nodded. "In the event of an attack, you'll hide with your young warriors or stay inside and protect the interior of the castle. But I do not want you nor the young warriors in active combat. Understand?"

I knew he was trying to extend an olive branch, so it was up to me to bend. Small wins. That was what it was going to take.

"Deal." I tilted my head to the side. "But what about grabbing my hair? That's going to have to stop, or I'm shaving my head."

"You wouldn't dare."

"Try me."

He nodded. "Okay. I won't grab your hair if you always respect me, especially in public."

I shrugged. "As I said last night, respect has to be earned."

"And that goes both ways." He stared daggers at me.

I nodded. "Okay. You treat me as an equal, and I'll treat you as one."

He thought about it for a moment and then nodded. "Okay." He bit his lower lip, leaning in. "Brenna, from here on out, if you have a problem with me, we'll discuss it privately. I refuse to have you air our dirty laundry in front of others. Am I clear?"