Chapter 26: Much to Learn

Brenna

Adan led me to the elevator and pushed the button. "There's a restaurant I know that has the best Italian cuisine in the city."

My head snapped up as the doors opened. "We're going to the city?"

He lifted one shoulder. "Sure. That's where the best restaurants are." The elevator door opened, and he held it for me, letting me go in first. When the doors closed, Adan said in a low voice, "It's run by the Sky Family, just to let you know."

I nodded, understanding. In the Mafia, it was good form to frequent each other's businesses. It showed good faith. After all, you're less likely to go to war with a friend than an enemy. My father did the same thing. In fact, he had frequented Eastern Canyon Resort many times. Never would I have imagined being sold at an auction there.

"You're quiet all of a sudden." Adan held the door while I exited the elevator. He offered me his arm and I took it, remembering my training to be a Queen. I held my head high, knowing what was expected of me.

"I was just thinking about my father." I shrugged. "He did that, too. Frequented the businesses of other Families."

"It shows good form." Adan's smile faded. "At least with the Families you get along with. Other Families may shoot you when you walk through the door."

I chuckled, nodding.

"Look." Adan pulled me to a stop, holding my hands as he looked into my eyes. "If you don't feel like going out so soon, I'll speak with my chef, and we'll have a nice dinner here."

I shook my head. "No. It's okay. It'll be nice to go out and get to know each other."

He nodded. "My sentiments exactly. But if it gets to be too much, let me know, and I'll bring you straight back."

It was clear that Adan already included me in his Mafia Family and his Pack. We walked down the hallway and into the foyer.

A guard held the door open for us as we passed. "Alpha. My Queen." He nodded slightly.

Outside, two men were waiting along with the driver. This was the Mafia life. The Boss never went anywhere alone, just in case.

One of the men opened the back door of the limousine. Adan helped me in and then slid in behind me while a guard closed the door. Then Adan held my hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. We rode in silence through the forest and down the mountains until we arrived in the city. Soon, we pulled into the parking lot of Sky's Italian Cuisine.

"It was a bit of a drive," Adan explained as we headed toward the door, "but it'll be worth it. I promise. The food here is exquisite."

I nodded, smiling as he opened the door for me. "I'm sure it will be."

"Good evening and welcome to Sky's Italian Cuisine!" a good-looking, older gentleman said as a smile spread across his face. Some may have called him a silver fox, but I only had eyes for Adan. "Two for dinner?"

Adan nodded. "Yes, please."

The gentleman didn't bother with a menu. Mafia men never looked at the menu. They always ordered the best, and what was the best was what the Chef recommended. He stopped a moment later in front of a booth. Adan waited until I sat, and then he sat with his back to the wall.

The man clasped his hands. "So, would you like a bottle of our best Chardonnay? Champagne, perhaps?"

"Dom Perigon, if you have it, please." Adan stood and smiled. "I'm not sure we met, but I'm Adan Cole, Don of the Cole Family."

The older man nodded, giving him a small smile. "Lucian Sky, Don of the Sky Family. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

Adan nodded. "The pleasure is mine."

Lucian clasped his hands together. His graying blond hair was perfectly combed, and he wore an expensive gray business suit. He was tall and it was clear that he had been built and nice looking in his youth. "So, would you like the Chef's Recommendation tonight?"

Adan looked over at me and smiled, arching an eyebrow.

"Yes, please," I replied.

Lucian bowed slightly. "I'll be right back with your champagne." He smiled again and then headed off to see to our meal.

"He seems nice." I smiled as I shook out my napkin and laid it on my lap.

Adan nodded. "Yes, he does."

"Here you go!" Lucian smiled as he poured two glasses of champagne and slid one in front of each of us. "I put your dinner order in, and it'll be out soon. Enjoy!"

"Thank you." Adan smiled and held up his glass to mine when we were alone. "To us."

Butterflies beat their wings frantically against the walls of my stomach as I touched my glass to his, and the sound of crystal filled the space. "To us."

I took a sip, and it was delicious. "So, if you don't know Don Sky, how did you know about his restaurant?"

He shrugged. "Word travels quickly." He took another sip of his wine. "Besides, I've been wanting to come here for some time but just didn't have anyone special I wanted to bring here."

Color rushed to my cheeks. "I feel honored." I took another sip of my wine, and the bubbles tickled my nose. "I was thinking of something earlier and wanted to speak with you about it."

He took a sip of his wine and set it down. "What is it?"

I paused for a moment, knowing what he was going to say. "I want to work with the young warriors of the Pack. Teach them what I know."

Adan let out a deep breath as he looked into his wine glass.

"Well?"

He looked into my eyes, his smile gone. "You will be the Queen of this Pack. And if you so choose, you will be the Luna. There will be no need for you to work with the warriors."

"But I'm a good swordfighter and have a lot to teach the young warriors." I shrugged, giving him a sly smile. "Or I could work with the experienced warriors, if you prefer."

His head snapped up. "No. I forbid you to work with any of the warriors. If anything should happen to you—"

"Nothing will happen to me," I cut him off, trying to keep my voice down. "I want to help—"

"And you will." He took my hand and lifted it to his lips. "As my Queen and my Mate." He kissed it, but I pulled away.

"Here you go." I looked up, and Lucian was standing beside our table, holding our plates, leaving me to wonder how much he had heard. Obviously, he was human. "I can come back, if now's not a good time."

I smiled as I sat back to give him room. "No, it's fine. We were just having—"

"A discussion." Adan shot me a warning look, causing my blood to boil. He was the only man I'd ever known who could make me feel like a queen one moment, and then subservient the next. It was very confusing. But he was going to learn that I am definitely not one to submit.

Lucian gave us a kind smile. "You're next course will be out in a few minutes. But I thought you might like some Baked Stuffed Brie with Walnuts and Cranberries. Enjoy!" He set the appetizer down and a cutting board with a loaf of cut fresh bread. Then he headed off to see to another table.

It was clear that Lucian enjoyed his restaurant and wanted nothing more than to make everyone feel comfortable. Although Adan was wonderful in many ways, he had much to learn about women... and about business.

***

A/N: Thanks for reading! Leave an emoji below and let me know what you think of the story so far. :-)