Chapter 24: Pull of the Mate

Adan

We didn't have to wait long. After Fletcher handed him an envelope, the Alpha shoved it into his suit coat, and Fletcher and his men left. But the Alpha looked around, a crease between his eyes, sensing something. A moment later, he motioned for his men to get in, and they drove away.

I started my car and followed behind, keeping a safe distance. The sun was hanging low, and I wanted to return to Brenna as soon as possible. Since last night, I couldn't stop thinking about her. This was the first time I had been away from her, but I felt her call, her pulling me. I wasn't sure why. I guess that was the way it was with Mates. But I had never felt this pull before, or anything close to it, for that matter.

The Arctic Alpha took a right onto a winding road that let up into the mountains, but I pulled off and turned back around.

"Boss, where're you going? We have him!" Mason yelled, turning around to look out the rear window.

"The road leads higher up into the mountains," I replied, driving back down the way we came. "There's no other Pack up there, so it won't be hard to find them. And if I follow them to their door, it's liable to attract their attention." I chuckled, shaking my head. "Even though I never back down from a fight, I don't intend to get into an all-out brawl with a whole Pack, not unless I have my Pack with me."

Mason nodded. "Good point." He was no coward, but he was smart enough to know when to pull back and live to fight another day. "So, what are we going to do now?"

I shrugged. "We'll go back and make a plan. But right now, I want to spend some time with Brenna."

He gave me a knowing smile, arching an eyebrow. "So, have you claimed her yet?"

My head snapped toward him, shooting him a warning look. "That's none of your business. Also, you'd do well to remember that she is your future queen."

"Aye." Mason looked out the window. "I meant no harm. I just don't want you to lose your Pack because you have not yet taken a Queen and Mate. After all, the Blood Moon—"

"Is quickly approaching. Yes, I'm quite aware." I let out a deep breath. "But that's not for another three months. There's another full moon coming tomorrow night, and Brenna is a potential Luna."

That got Mason's attention. "Seriously? How do you know?"

I shrugged. "Magenta told me. It's Brenna's decision, but Brenna becoming the Pack Luna is much more important than the Blood Moon."

"Agreed." Mason glanced over at me. "So, does she plan to present herself?"

"I haven't spoken with her, but I'm sure she will." I made a right turn, leading back to the castle. "A long time ago, Magenta told me my Mate would also become the Pack Luna." I glanced over at him. "That was why I never took a Luna for the Pack."

Mason nodded, his eyebrows raised. "And you're sure Brenna's the one?"

My eyes never wavered. "Positive."

We talked on the way back, and the conversation turned light. Usually, I would never speak to anyone about my personal life with my Mate and potential Pack Luna. However, Mason had been with me for more years than I could count, and I didn't mind talking to him about it.

Since I came back with Brenna, Mason had been absolutely beaming. It was nearly a year since my father's death, and time was quickly running out. The Pack Council had given me a year to grieve and get my affairs in order before finding a Queen. But in our world, Kings had to have a Queen, and I hadn't found her yet... until now. I had refused to settle and marry just anyone. I wanted to marry my Mate.

I had to admit that the chances of finding her within the year had been slim. After all, I had gone all my life—two hundred twenty years—and hadn't found her. Then I walked into the Auction, and there she was. At that moment, my world shifted, and I wanted nothing more than to claim her, protect her, and make her mine.

When we pulled down the long road leading to the castle, my heart raced, anticipating seeing Breanna again. "Park my Maserati for me, Mason." I quickly threw it into park, leaving the engine running. "And if anything happens to it, it'll be your head."

"Yeah, yeah." Mason rolled his eyes as he got out and headed around to the driver's seat. "That's what you always say."

"And I mean it." I shot him a warning glance and then headed into the castle.

"Good evening, Alpha." The guards nodded as I passed.

"Good evening." I skipped up the stairs and into the castle, hurrying to see Brenna. I didn't know how long I'd be able to wait before officially claiming her as my Mate, but I knew she had been through a lot and her wounds were still fresh. I didn't want to rush her into anything. After all, we had the rest of our lives to get to know one another.

I made a right, headed straight for the elevator, not wanting to take the time to climb the stairs. Soon, the doors opened, and I was on the seventh floor within minutes. Although it didn't take long, it wasn't quick enough. For some reason, I couldn't wait to get back to Brenna. As I thought before, it must be the pull of the Mate, for I had never felt anything so strong in my life.

I went into my room, took off my tie, and went straight for the adjoining door. I almost opened it but thought better of it and knocked. After all, I had just brought her home the day before. Home. Such a simple, solitary word that meant everything.

***

A/N: Thanks for reading! What do you think will happen next? Comment below and let me know. :-)