Chapter 22: Nothing More, Nothing Less

Adan

"Where do you think you're going?" I glared at Mason, following me past a Maserati as I headed toward the showroom.

"You're not going anywhere without protection." Mason looked up at me. "Not if I can help it."

"Well, then, let's go." I hurried inside and darted around a corner, watching through the glass. Sure enough, two cars containing some of Fletcher's men drove past and followed my limo.

Thunder rumbled, and the clouds started darkening.

"I knew he'd send his men to follow us." I shood my head, looking around the showroom.

"May I help you?" a salesman asked behind me. When I turned around, he instantly recognized me. "Oh! Don Cole! How are you today? What can I do for you?"

"I need a car. Nice, but nothing flashy. Something I can take right now." I tilted my head to the side, scanning the lot as I talked. "Do you have anything like that?"

"Yes, sir." He followed nervously as I walked back outside. "But I'm not sure about the detailing—"

"Don't worry about that," I cut him off, quickly scanning the lot. "I need something now." Then I saw it. "What about that Land Rover?" It was gray with smoked tilted windows. Nice, but not too flashy... just what I wanted. "Is it for sale?"

"Yes, but—"

"I'll take it." I handed him my credit card. "If you can bring me a temporary tag, I'll be back to finish signing the papers later."

"No need," he replied. "I can send the paperwork to your castle later, if that's okay."

I chuckled. "Just hold it here. I'll be back as soon as I can." It wouldn't do for him to come to the castle and see one of my Pack members leap into midair and change into a wolf right before his eyes. That would be a little hard to explain to a human.

"That's fine." He headed behind the counter and looked up. "Would you like to test drive it first?"

I looked at him, one corner of my lips curling into a smile.

His smile faded. "I guess not." He quickly rang up the purchase and then handed the card back to me, along with the keys. "I just need one signature, and then you can come back later to finish the paperwork."

"Fine," I growled, not wanting to miss Fletcher when he pulled out to meet the Alpha. I hurried to scribble my name on the paper he laid in front of me and took the keys. "Thanks. I'll be back later."

"Oh! Here's your tag!" he yelled, hurrying to catch up as thunder rumbled in the sky.

"You'd better hurry back inside before the rain starts." I smiled, taking the tag. "Looks like it's going to be a big one."

He nodded but waited for me to pull out.

I threw the tag in the back window and slid into the driver's seat a moment later. It purred like a kitten. I'd wanted to get an SUV for a while for times such as these, and now I have one. As soon as Mason was in the passenger seat, I pulled out onto the main road.

"Thank you!" the salesman yelled behind us as we sped away.

I made a right, circling to the back of the resort, knowing Fletcher never parked in the front unless he had to. I pulled behind the corner, out of sight.

"Fletcher's Jaguar is still here," Mason observed, craning his neck to see.

"Yeah, but his limo is gone," I replied. "Let's just hope he took the Jag today."

Mason nodded.

I watched the parking lot, thinking. "He knows about us."

Mason's head snapped up. "What do you mean 'he knows about us?'"

"Just what I said." I let out a deep breath. "Brenna told him that the man who brought her in had wiped out her Pack. She probably said it without thinking."

"Oh my god!" Mason's eyes grew wide. "And what did he say?"

I didn't take my eyes off Fetcher's Jag. "He guessed that we're wolves but was grasping at straws."

Suddenly, a massive clap of thunder resonated around us, shaking the car, but we ignored it.

"So, what did you say?"

I shrugged. "I told him we shouldn't make a scene in front of the humans." My eyes met his. "And he didn't bat an eye."

Mason nodded. "So, do you think he's some kind of supernatural, too?"

I took a deep breath. "If he's not, then he knows way more about our world than a human should." I looked over at him. "It could get him killed."

Mason nodded. "So, what do you want to do, Boss?" Just then, the heavens broke loose, and rain plummeted from the sky, pelting the earth.

I nodded toward Fletcher's Jag. "First, let's follow him and see where he goes."

Fletcher was getting into his car, along with his right-hand man, Jaxon.

I waited until Fletcher pulled out, then I followed behind him, keeping my distance. "And now, we wait."

Fletcher ended up leading us deeper into the forest, headed toward the mountains.

"Boss, if he knows we're following him, this could be a trap." A crease formed between Mason's eyes. "No one comes out this far."

"That's why it's the perfect place for a meetup."

It would have been difficult to see through the rain if I were human... but I wasn't. Wolves were used to seeing in the dark, through rain, or any type of weather. But I made sure to stay back far enough not to be spotted, just in case.

Soon, Fletcher pulled under a bridge and cut the engine. I turned right down another street, then circled around and stopped on a side street so we wouldn't be noticed.

Fletcher got out of his car along with Jaxon. They didn't have to wait long when a white Mercedes pulled up, just like the one Breanna had described. A moment later, two men got out and looked around. One stood on one side of the bridge and the other next to the car. When they had deemed it safe, he opened the back passenger door and out stepped the Alpha, looking precisely as Brenna had described: tall and muscular with long white hair.

"He's an Arctic wolf," I said, watching. "Are there any Arctic Wolf Packs in the area?"

Mason slowly shook his head, letting out a deep breath. "Not to my knowledge."

"He's the one who killed Brenna's people."

Mason's head snapped up. "You're not thinking of doing anything stupid. Are you, Boss?"

I glared at him. "It's a good thing I've known you for so long. I've killed people for less than that."

But Mason was undeterred. "Well?"

"We're going to follow him when he leaves." I gave Mason a stern look. "Nothing more. Nothing less."

***

A/N: So, what do you think will happen next? Leave a comment to let me know. :-)