Chapter 21: A Veiled Threat

Adan

"Sorry. Can't do that." Fletcher took a sip of his bourbon. "Does that little hellcat have something to do with this?"

I glared at him. "For the last time, she is a lady. Do not call her a hellcat."

He nodded, giving me a knowing smile. "So, she's gotten to you, huh?" He waved a hand dismissively. "Why don't you just fuck her and be done with it?"

I slammed my hand down, jumping to my feet. Then I leaned across the table, keeping my voice low. "There's a whole can of worms here that I'm sure you don't want to open."

But Fletcher just stared at me, unmoved. Then he nodded toward my chair. "Sit down. Let's talk this out like gentlemen."

I stared at him for a long moment, then sat and took a long pull of my bourbon. "Who brought her in?"

He chuckled, swirling the bourbon around in his glass again, watching the liquid. "That I can't tell you." Then he took a sip and looked into my eyes. "All of my sources are confidential. I'm sure you understand."

I nodded. "And she was brought to you naked and covered in blood?"

A small smile lit his lips as he shrugged slightly. "Women come to me in all conditions. I clean them up, make them look presentable, and put them on the Auction block. It's as simple as that." Fletcher refilled both of our glasses. "So, what has you so concerned all of a sudden? You've known about my Auction House for a while now, and this is the first time you've tried to stop me."

I took another sip of my bourbon. "With the sex club opening up in town, there won't be any need for human trafficking."

He nodded. "Yes, but the Kingsley Family will be the only one profiting from that venture, so my Auction House stills stands." He took another sip of his bourbon.

"You have plenty of other businesses for the Reed Family." I swirled the caramel liquid around in my glass and took a swig. "Why do you need to kidnap and sell women?"

Fletcher shrugged as he leaned in conspiratorially. "For pleasure." He sat back, laughing. "It also brings in a fair revenue. What I make off the auction in one night would take this place a year to make." He waved his hand dismissively around him.

"You have no idea what you're getting into." I downed my drink and rose to my feet. "The women your contacts are bringing in are more than they seem."

"Please. Sit." Fletcher refilled my glass. Obviously, he wasn't through talking yet. "I have one more question to ask."

I stared at him but didn't sit.

Fletcher looked up at me, unmoved. "The woman you bought said that the man who brought her to me 'killed her Pack.'" He tilted his head to the side, gauging my reaction. "An odd choice of words. Don't you think?"

"Who was the man that brought her to you?" I demanded, keeping my voice low.

"I have a feeling that she's more than she seems, just as you said," Fletcher continued, arching an eyebrow. "A wolf, perhaps?"

I turned the table over, sending it crashing to the floor. "Who is he?" I growled, snatching him up by his shoulders.

Silence filled the room as everyone stared. Then several of Fletcher's men entered, along with my men, and stood ready, but no one pulled their weapons. There were too many innocents present.

Fletcher smiled. "So, what are you going to do? Kill me in my own establishment? Start a war?"

I leaned in close to his ear. "If that's what it takes." Then I released him, and he nearly fell but caught himself and landed on his feet. "You have no idea who I am and what I'm capable of."

Fletcher fixed his white suit and straightened his tie. Then he narrowed his eyes as he approached. "And you have no idea what I'm capable of." Then he glanced over at one of his men. "I think it's time for Don Cole to leave."

The man's eyes widened, looking nervously between us.

"Don't worry. I was just leaving." I smiled as I looked into Fletcher's eyes. "Thanks for a wonderful lunch." I took a step closer so only he could hear. "You have a wife and two daughters. Do you not?"

"Leave them out of this," Fletcher growled.

Ah-ha. That got his attention. "How would you feel if they come up on your auction block?"

He glared at me, narrowing his eyes. "You have no idea the threats you're making now. I could kill you in an instant."

"And I could claim your life just as easily, but I don't think we want to go there in front of the other humans. Don't you think?" I tilted my head to the side, waiting for his answer. Although he wasn't a wolf, he was obviously something more than human. And over all these years, I never knew. "Well...." I let out a deep breath, whispering beside his ear. "If I hear of another auction, your wife and daughters may just go missing."

"How dare you?" he yelled, clenching his fists.

I shrugged, taking a step back, a smile lighting my lips as his men approached. "By the way, tell the man who brought her in that I'm coming for him... and there will be nowhere in this country that he can hide." I bowed slightly. "Thank you again for a wonderful meal." Then I turned and walked out as Mason and the rest of my men followed. Fletcher's men lined the way.

"So, what do you want to do, Boss?" Mason asked, his voice low as we headed toward the limo.

"I'm going to follow him, but I need a car." I let out a deep breath, thinking. "Let's get into the limo and make it look as if we're leaving but let me out around the corner. I'll take it from there."

"But I can't leave you alone," Mason complained.

Fetcher's men had followed us out and were watching us from the top of the stairs and the street in front of the restaurant.

"Not now," I growled. "Get in."

We all piled into the limo, and they watched as we drove away, turned right, and headed toward our castle. "Stop here. I'll be fine."

"Alpha, there's a car lot up ahead on the right." Mason nodded ahead. "He won't recognize the car."

I nodded. "Good. Pull in." The driver did as I said, and I slid out of the car. It was a high-end car lot, just my style with Mercedes, BMWs, Jaguars and the like.

Mason slid out behind me. "Go!" he said to the driver, and they left. Wherever I went, it was a given that Mason would go with me... if he could.

***

A/N: So, what do you think so far? Leave an emoji to let me know. :-)