Chapter 24 - The Arrival 4

Start from the beginning

"Sir!"

"Sweetie, do you have a ruler?" He said as he flawlessly raised Mia's maternity dress up to her knees with one hand while his other hand is still holding the phone and expertly removed her underwear, still with one hand.

Mia seemed too shocked to even move a single muscle and just stared at him. When she realized that she was exposed to him, she immediately tried to cover her most sensitive part, but she couldn't reach, due to her really big baby bump.

"Why are you trying to hide it when I've seen it so many times already?"

Mia's face reddened and she was obviously embarrassed. "Uhm...apparently because it's been a long time since we did that." She said almost in a whisper in which fortunately reached his ears.

He smirked and he wanted to tease her more when her face suddenly said that a contraction is underway.

Mateo's panicked immerged again and he remembered that his mother was still on the phone. Maybe I should stop teasing her, he thought to himself.

"Mateo! The dilation!" His mom screamed from the other line.

"Uh yeah, sorry. Sweetie do you have the ruler?" He asked Mia who was still doing the breathing exercises.

"What are you going to do with the ruler?" His mother asked.

"Uhhh... to measure the centimeters of the dilation?"

He heard his mother do a disappointed grunt again. "Son, there's no need for rulers! Just do an estimation with your fingers, and make sure you sanitize them before doing that!" His mom sighed. "You do that and make sure that Mia is comfortable okay... I'm just gonna give Tsukishima Dr. Martinez's number so she could guide us."

"Okay..." But wait...'Tsukishima? Did he hear it right?'

"Mom, did you say Tsukishima?"

"Si mi hijo, I'll explain later, for now, do the estimation and also count the number of minutes of the interval of her contractions."

"Okay mom." He removed the phone from his ear and sets it down on the lower side of Mia's bed without ending the call. He wants his mother on stand-by just so he could ask her anytime about something that needed to be done.

He peeked between Mia's legs and estimated her dilation. He is not an expert so he asked his mother for thorough instructions as much as possible, afraid that he might danger Mia or the baby.

When he was done estimating, he went on Mia's side and holds her hand. He counted the minutes of every interval as he waited for his mom to call him again.

Every time Mia had a contraction, he would squeeze her hand after her squeezing his. And then he would kiss her forehead and whisper encouraging words to her.

There were a lot of beads of sweat forming on Mia's forehead and he would wipe them from time to time. He tried to stay calm as much as possible, but every time she grunts, a wave of distress envelopes his entire being. He wished that he could switch his position with her so he was the one feeling the pain instead. Seeing her like this feels like there is something crushing his chest.

The intervals of the contractions are becoming closer and closer. He wanted to check on her dilation, but her grip on his hand is what stops him. She needs support but he also need to check on the baby.

He was about to check his phone if his mother already hung up because she has been silent for many minutes already when he heard the door of the rest house open and the annoying voice of Luke echoed in the entire house, calling out for Mia.