Chapter 11: A Letter From Aragon

"Are you sure such a place exists?" Ianna asked. I watched her melt into the wooden chair that had been placed between the 12th alleyway between the library's shelves. Her eyelids drooped, with the dark spots under her eyes starting to become evident, and with every move she made, she yawned.

It's half past nine, and yet the three of us are still inside the library. It hasn't been a week since I came back, but I couldn't stand not doing anything when a potential cure for our town might be within reach.

"Guess what? Eirene announced, followed by Ianna rising from her seat, deliberate and ready to hear what Eirene would say. "I found... nothing! Nothing, I tell you! These are just about magic spells, combat training, and hidden alleyways."

Ianna groaned in frustration, sinking once again into the wooden chair. Limiting myself to shaking my head in a resemblance of a nod, I closed my eyes, absorbing their frustrations.

What could possibly be connected to that place? It was something I've longed to witness for a long time now— the crystal night sky, the bright moon, and the glimpse of a flourishing land—and it woke up my desire to bring everything back to how it used to be. I don't know if I could still meet my parents again or if things could get back to how they used to be, but knowing a land like that exists I hold on to that hope.

"Ladies?"

My eyes jolted open, and I immediately faced where the voice came from. Chief Sullivan stood in the center of the hallway with a lamp in his hand, seemingly fighting with the light from the library's torches.

The two lined up behind me and bowed lightly. My eyes wandered to the crest of the legion on the chief's right chest. A knight and two horses that represent the yin and yang. It's easy to comprehend that the vision and mission of the Shadow's Legion are to create a balance between good and evil.

My eyes then trailed to the paper held in his left hand. The edges were burned, and it looks like the paper has been ripped from a book. My brows knitted in familiarity.

I think... I think I have seen that paper before.

Ah, I remember now. The day before the Shadow Legion scouted me, there was a paper with the same type. And also, when I bumped into that woman in Evergarden street. Strange, but perhaps it is just a mere coincidence. From what I know, many people who are into vintage uses the same paper style. 

A nudge from Ianna's elbow brought me to lower my head. I pressed my lips together, trying to suppress the pain while I stood there with them, not daring to say a single word.

"What are you doing here at this hour? It's past the curfew already," he asked, his eyes squinting. I lowered my head more, fighting the urge to say a word or a simple slip of the tongue that might lead us all to counseling.

"Alora? I heard from the other divisions that you intentionally allowed yourself to be abducted by the Ravencourts. How is this true?"

My eyes widened a fraction upon hearing the Chief's question. I felt the beads of sweat start to form in my forehead as I felt Chief Sullivan looking at me. Glancing at Eirene and Ianna, the two were already drifting in their own minds as if Chief Sullivan hadn't asked a question.

I took a deep breath as words slowly came out of my mouth. I blinked. "We were... investigating deeper into our mission, Sir. The only way to know the reason behind the abductions was to be abducted intentionally."

Chief Sullivan pressed his lips into a thin line and slowly nodded. "Did you find your answers? I want you to submit a report of what you've discovered."