Chapter 13: Jinpachi Ego

Anri helped (Y/N) down the halls of Blue Lock. The boy tried to walk on his right foot. However, his leg buckled. Anri was able to grab the boy before he hit his head quickly.

"Are you alright?!"

"Yes. Thank y-" He stopped midway as his face was close to her chest. He looked away quickly with a slight blush before coughing. "Ahem. Thank you...uhm..."

"My name is Anri Teieri, but feel free to call me Anri. I'm a staff worker here at Blue Lock. I'm very impressed by you. I watched you play against Hakuho High School. So far, your goals and dribbling have continued to surprise me." Anri says in an ecstatic tone before giving a smile to the boy. "Everything from giving your ball a certain curve or your ultra-fast scissors. And even your Air Elastico is impressive, considering you've just learned to play the striker position."

"T-thank you. No offense, but it surprises me. Not many girls, including soccer fans, know as much info as you."

"Well, I am a JFU representative and a Blue Lock creator. Seeing talent such as yourself is my job." Anri says confidently. The two finally stopped as they reached a double door with a Blue Lock symbol painted on it.

"What's behind this?"

Anri scanned a card as the door slowly opened. "The mastermind behind Blue Lock. Jinpachi Ego."

The door finally opened as the two walked in. (Y/N) was led to a chair, where he sat down, but his eyes stayed locked at the back of the room. Several screens showed the Team Z vs. Team Y game. Since (Y/N) left, Niko had taken over, leading his team to a commanding 2-1 lead. Team Y passed the ball around, essentially playing keep-away, as the teams walked back into their locker rooms for halftime. However, (Y/N) had his eyes locked on something else. Someone sat in front of all these screens. He was scratching his head. 

"Ego. I brought (Y/N) (L/N)."

The man named Ego turned around and stood up. He walked over, towering over (Y/N) by at least half a foot. (Y/N) gulped. Something about Ego was weird; he gave off a scary aura. Ego squatted down, taking a look at (Y/N)'s foot.

"Seems like a minor ankle sprain. Anri, get some ice and some bandages." Anri grabbed some bandages and filled up an ice bag. She took off (Y/N)'s cleat and sock before wrapping an ice pack around his foot. The boy thanked her before turning his attention back to Ego. Ego slowly returned to his seat, but before he could sit down, (Y/N) called out to him.

"E-ego! Why did you choose a fullback like me to join Blue Lock?"

The room was silent for several seconds before Ego started to talk.

"Me? Choose a defective striker like you. No. I didn't choose you to come to Blue Lock. Anri simply gave me a suggestion. She asked me to accept you into Blue Lock. I had 299 strikers lined up. You were merely one more player to make it evenly 300. There's a reason why you've been the lowest ranked so far."

(Y/N) was about to speak before Anri spoke up.

"Ego! You shouldn't be saying these things. You were impressed by his skills also, right? His trapping ability, dribbling skills, straight power shot from 28 feet out, and everything else. Those aren't things an average striker can do! He could be Japan's own genius!"

"Impressed? Japan's own genius? No." Ego turned around before pointing to (Y/N). "He's nothing but a copycat with no weapon. His power shot, dribbling skills, and curve-manipulating shots are simply copies of others. Kunigami, Bachira, and Joey are people who he stole these skills from. In Blue Lock, I'm looking for a player with an ego that can lead Japan to a World Cup...Not a defect that copies other's skills."