Chapter 4: Invitation

Nagi dribbled down the field, ignoring the defenders, as (Y/N) ran on his right side. He would keep Nagi from cutting in. After all, if Nagi could score when shooting angles weren't open, there was no way (Y/N) would give him a one-on-one with Zach in the penalty area, mainly if Nagi had finally found the motivation to play. 

(Y/N) continued to cut Nagi off, forcing him to stick to the side of the penalty area. Seeing a slight opening, (Y/N) pressed into Nagi's side. Nagi seeing the attempt for a steal, turned his back. Nagi leaned into (Y/N) as the ladder pushed back. (Y/N) suddenly released the pressure, expecting Nagi to fall, but Nagi stuck his foot back, propelling him forward. He ran down the right lane as (Y/N) attempted a slide tackle. Seeing no way to dodge, Nagi sent a pass toward Reo, positioned in the middle of the penalty area. Reo jumped for an attempt at a header but watched as Joey's body blocked his vision. "Shit! He jumped first!"

Joey reached the ball and dribbled down the field. (Y/N) put his hand up as Joey passed. Nagi reacted quickly, running back on defense as (Y/N) dribbled down the field. He slowed down in front of Nagi. He looked toward the goal before back at Nagi. He kicked the ball with the outside of his foot, as Nagi mirrored, before striking the ball with the inside of his foot and quickly changing directions—an Elastico. He had faked Nagi and got to ready to accelerate. Nagi quickly recovered, slid tackling, and launched the ball into the penalty area. Hakuho's fullback got the second ball and launched a fair pass to Reo. Reo dribbled forward as Nagi ran down the right side. Joey positioned himself between the two as (Y/N) ran next to Nagi and eventually past him. Reo launched a short pass to Nagi as Nagi attempted to use his heel to trap the ball. (Y/N) however, thought ahead and opted to push off Nagi's back. (Y/N) trapped the ball with his chest and started another counter as Nagi fell straight to the ground. As Nagi attempted to get up and rush forward, Joey came around and shoved his back into Nagi, causing the boy to fall backward on his ass.

Joey quickly maneuvered around the field and caught up to (Y/N). He ran to the left of (Y/N) as the two glanced at each other. Joey and (Y/N) linked up without a word, cutting through the defense as Jack ran to (Y/N)'s left. The three charged forward only to be faced with Reo blocking his way. 

However, Reo was full of weaknesses. (Y/N) formulated all the possibilities and saw a high potential for a goal. He kicked the ball slightly forward in an attempt of a cross, which Reo quickly pressed up on, only to use the interior of his right foot to drag the ball through his legs. Reo had bit on the fake cross. Reo face-planted and turned as (Y/N) dribbled forward. Joey stayed back and fended Reo off, as (Y/N), and Jack rushed into the penalty area. It was just them and the goalie.

"Pass the ball!" yelled Jack. "I'm open!"

(Y/N) made eye contact with Jack and cocked his leg back as Jack smiled. He was going to score the winning goal, despite not being the best player; if he scored this goal, he would be remembered as the hero of his school. It wouldn't be Joey or (Y/N), two geniuses, who would be remembered. No, it would be Jack. The striker who scored the winning goal against Hakuho cemented their team into history. He would be praised and celebrated just as they did with (Y/N)'s fantastic goal. His dream was within arms reach. 

However, that differed from what was happening in (Y/N)'s mind. (Y/N) whiffed the ball again, as Jack's dreams got crushed. (Y/N) gave a small glance as Jack shuddered. It was almost as if (Y/N) was mocking him like a predator had given its prey a bit of hope. Jack swore he saw a cursed smile on (Y/N)'s face. (Y/N) winded up and blasted the ball at full power right dead center. Now it was a test of bravery—an apex predator vs. a fragile baby deer. If the goalie blocked the goal, he was sure to break something, but if he dove out of the way, he would be criticized as a coward. This was the second dilemma Hakuho's goalie had faced in this match. However, just like the first, he was saved again, as Nagi appeared out of thin air. He stuck his foot out and unbelievably trapped the ball. Even at such velocity, the ball seemed to stop completely under Nagi's control. Nagi launched his counter-attack as (Y/N) pressed him. Joey ran back (Y/N) up, but was stopped, as Reo grabbed his arm. "Where are you going?"

The two geniuses faced off again as Nagi passed to his left wing and ran towards (Y/N) one-on-one. The two pushed and shoved each other, Nagi looking to get open as (Y/N) closed any opportunities. Nagi called for the ball, as the left-wing hesitated. "Trust me!" shouted Nagi.

Matching the passion, the left-wing lobbed a long pass over their heads. It was far from perfect or near what Reo had been giving Nagi. Zach slightly stepped out of the goal as (Y/N) gained ground on Nagi. Nagi jumped, reaching out his foot, as (Y/N) loaded his legs for an attempt at a header. (Y/N) and Nagi finally had a small smile on their faces. However, they both knew whoever reached the ball would end the other's undefeated season.

Unfortunately for (Y/N), time had run out. His legs gave out as he collapsed, face-planting into the grass. He may have had an awakening and entered the zone, but his stamina ran out. Nagi trapped the ball and tapped it towards the right as he contorted his flexible body. Zach grinned, seeing that this time Nagi had no shooting angle. No matter how good the player, a man can't break the laws of physics. He stuck his hand out to knock the ball to any defenders. Nagi whispered, "Perfect." Zach's face turned to fear, and Nagi's eyes were covered in a black aura. Nagi kicked the ball, hitting Zach in the face, and ricocheted upwards. Zach fell on his back and watched as the ball bounced and rolled across the goal line. 

The whole field was silent until the referees blew their whistle. The game had ended. Hakuho celebrated, and the dog piled on Nagi while (Y/N) punched the ground. The undefeated season was over. The chance at history was over. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On the sidelines, a petite young woman with brown hair tied into two braids and chocolate-brown eyes writes something into a book before making a phone call. 

"Yes, this is Anri Teieri

"Yes, this is Anri Teieri. I was getting more research about Nagi and Reo, but I found an interesting fullback. Yes, I understand you asked for offensive players, but I believe you have the ego you want. He could copy Nagi's superhuman trapping ability and Joey's curve-manipulating shot. Not to mention a terrifying yet mysterious aura. (Y/N) (L/N). Yes! Ego-san...please invite this hidden genius to the "Blue Lock" Project.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Joey walked over to (Y/N), putting his hand on his shoulder. On the other hand, Jack ran around and grabbed (Y/N) up by his collar. "You ruined our chance at winning! You should've passed the ball, you self-centered bitch!" 

"I don't give a shit. If we won, it should've been my goal. Isn't that the attitude of you strikers?" 

Jack's face turned red as he winded his arm up and aimed toward (Y/N)'s face. The ladder looked down in defeat, but Joey didn't intervene. Instead, Nagi kicked the ball straight into Jack's face causing the boy to pass out. Reo picked up Nagi as the two walked towards (Y/N) and Joey. The four looked at each other in silence. Reo was the first to break the ice. "Good game, guys. I'll give it to you. You guys are the most brutal game we've had."

Joey smiled at Reo's compliment. "Well, that's what we strive to do. Congrats on an undefeated season. I haven't had such a fun game in so long."

"I have to thank you for that. We've finally taught Nagi just how fun soccer can be." Nagi nodded but continued to stare at (Y/N), who was sitting on the ground, panting. Reo saw this and asked Nagi, "What is it?"

Nagi whispered in Reo's ear as the ladder smiled. "Hey, number 17. (Y/N) is it?"

(Y/N) looked at the pair with a slightly saddened face. "Yeah. What is it?"

"Nagi and I found you truly incredible." Reo stuck his hand out, and his voice became serious. "As captain of Haruko's soccer club, we invite you to join us at nationals."