Chapter Twenty-two

Start from the beginning

When Kimmy returned to their table, she grabbed a seat on the end, closest to the booth they were using to store Miguel's presents. Miguel and Hayden stuck by each other the entire time, playing games together and eating together. He still sat close to Kimmy, sitting across from her.

Eventually, with all the guests there, Miguel got to blow out his candles on his Paw Patrol themed cake after everyone sang to him. Except for Kimmy, who silently continued eating her second slice of pizza.

Up until this point, Kimmy did not have any kind of beef with Miguel. Even when he took the reins of their play, she normally just went along with him. But seeing the kid get so much attention and having his birthday somewhere with a ton of games, pizza, and even other kids to celebrate his big day? Kimmy couldn't help feel a little envious of the whole thing. Of course, she wasn't aware he too never had a party like this before coming to Ben and Kayla, who made sure every kid has any kind of day they wanted for their birthday. They would, of course, do something like this for her, but she couldn't just speak up and ask. So, once Kimmy finished her pizza, she headed back to the games, not wanting anything to do with the party. Even when she ran out of tokens, Kimmy continued to walk around and watch others playing. When she did return to the table, thankfully, the usual party activities the place offered were over and Kimmy got another slice and refilled her drink.

At the end of the party, once everything was cleaned up, Miguel opened his presents. Some of them were clothes, but most of his presents were toys, including more Paw Patrol stuff and a small figurine set of Bluey characters. He also got a remote control dinosaur, among other toys boys his age liked to play with. The dinosaur was coolest, in not only Miguel's eyes, but Hayden and the other kids as well, including Kimmy, who watched the kids look the boxed toy over, with envy.

Once everything was packed in Kayla's jeep, Kimmy climbed into the back seat to continue reading. It got harder to read on the way home with Miguel, who filled everyone in on how much fun he had and how awesome his party was. Kimmy hadn't noticed she had been glaring in his direction until Claudia pointed it out.

"What's the matter with you, Kimmy?" she asked from beside her. It was loud enough for the whole jeep to hear.

Kimmy jumped, startled by the question. She immediately looked in the teen's direction before turning her attention back to her book, sliding down in her seat. Her cheeks burned red as Kimmy stared at the page she was on, especially when Ben checked in, as well.

Back at the house, Kayla asked the kids to help carry stuff in. Kimmy tried to sneak inside, but Mary noticed her empty-handed and told her to go grab something. She wanted to refuse, but Kayla overheard, and called Kimmy over to take in some of Miguel's presents.

"Please?" Kayla asked, insisting while holding the presents out to her. It was just one of the Paw Patrol play sets, but still.

Kimmy stood there, rooted to the spot. There was something that told her to be defiant and go inside, but there was also a fear of what would happen if she chose not to help.

Kayla brought them over, reassuring they weren't heavy and to set them on the kitchen table.

Kimmy reluctantly took them and carried the toys inside, where she was bombarded by Samson. He didn't jump on her, but flinched anyway, knowing her dog was a jumper. Samson sniffed at her, which she petted him with one hand. He then followed her to the kitchen. Once she set the toys on the table, Kimmy headed upstairs to avoid Miguel for the rest of the day and most of the day Sunday. She was thankful for Samson keeping her company part of the time, letting her pet him while snuggling with him. Like he knew something was bothering her or something. Samson even licked her a few times.