Chapter 1: New Faces and New Places

*This first chapter is exactly the same as the epilogue on "An Unlikely Duo" so if you already read that then feel free to skip ahead to chapter 2. If you haven't read "An Unlikely Duo" you should read that first or you will be very confused. Thanks and enjoy!*

*And thank you to @CleverKayla for the great cover!

Kayla ' s POV

"Aren't any of you going to help us set up? This is your party after all. Why are we doing all the work" Angela shouted in to the group of guys sitting on the sofa. They were too absorbed in their football game to hear a word she said.

They were watching some off season spring scrimmage that somehow made it on TV. Meanwhile Angela and I were the ones setting up their apartment for the last big party of the year.

The summer after our junior year of college was about to start. It was hard to believe I only had one year left.

Angela and I left the food in the kitchen and went to sit on the floor and watch the game with them.

It was an instate rivalry game between Duke and NC State. Being the only one in my group of friends from North Carolina it was kind of cool to watch people from home on TV while I was several states away.

"And Duke has done it again. As usual Jake Mitchells was a huge part of their win tonight. Born and raised in North Carolina and the fastest running back in the state-" Angela grabbed the remote and shut the TV off.

"Hey what was that for? We were watching the game" Jeremy whined.

"We have a party to plan so get off your lazy butts and get to work" Angela ordered.

I mouthed a silent thank you to her before heading back into the kitchen.

"You know she hates thinking about him. What were you thinking putting that game on when she's around? That ex-boyfriend is dangerous territory and you know that" Angela's angry whisper was followed by a swift slap to the back of the head followed by a groan.

"Don't worry babe I'm the only man you need in your life" Jeremy came into the kitchen and draped his arm around my shoulders before stealing a chip out of my hand.

"Move it you big oaf you're crushing me" I wiggled out of his grasp.

"That's no way to talk to your best friend" Jeremy pouted. Seeing a 6' 4" offensive lineman pouting didn't evoke sympathy. Instead Jeremy's puppy dog face was always met with howling laughter.

"Hey I'm her best friend buddy so back off" Angela flicked him on the ear. She may seem like a violent person, but she's barely 5' 2" and completely harmless.

"We've been over this weirdos. You're both my best friends" I ruffled their hair before helping the other guys get out some folding tables.

Angela, Jeremy, and I had struggled through our first Chemistry class together freshman year and have been inseparable ever since.

They helped me through the wreckage caused by the whole Jake fiasco, well they're still working on that.

"How many people did you guys invite to this little get together?" Angela asked. Jeremy and four of the other guys in our group rented a small house off campus that they had been living in for the past year, which they loved to use to throw parties; however, the cleaning up afterwards, that they didn't love so much.

"Weeelllll word spread kind of fast and I couldn't say no to a bunch of people because summer's about to start, and I thought it would be nice to have everyone together one last time so it might be a little bigger than we expected" Ricky ran his fingers through his hair and avoided eye contact with the rest of us.