|| 4. Flourish and Blotts

Start from the beginning

"Alright, Hermione, this is perfect. You stay with Y/N while your father and I get your books. Keep an eye on her, won't you, Y/N?" Mrs. Granger said playfully, her tone slightly teasing as she walked into the store, leaving Y/N and Hermione alone. Y/N and Hermione's eyes met, both girls momentarily caught in an awkward silence before they both glanced away.

"You're just gonna keep ignoring me, huh?" Y/N's voice broke the silence, her frustration evident. Hermione refused to meet her gaze, looking away.

"I don't know what you're referring to," Hermione replied with a cool tone.

"Sure, play it like that," Y/N retorted, a hint of anger in her voice. Another uncomfortable silence stretched between them.

The air seemed to thicken with tension, wrapping around them like an invisible vice. The bustling sounds of Diagon Alley seemed to fade into the background, leaving only the weight of their strained interaction. It was as if an uncomfortable spotlight had been cast upon them, and they were trapped in a spotlight that refused to dim.

Seconds dragged on like hours, the silence becoming almost palpable. Passersby walked by, casting curious glances at the two girls standing there, caught in an awkward standoff. It was one of those moments that felt so uncomfortable that anyone within a ten-foot radius could practically sense it, like a static charge in the air before a storm.

Y/N shifted her weight from one foot to the other, her frustration and hurt warring with her desire to smooth things over. She stole a quick glance at Hermione, who continued to keep her eyes resolutely fixed on a random point in the distance, as if she could will this awkward moment away.

"Y/N!" A voice suddenly sliced through the awkward silence. Y/N turned to the side, relief flooding her at the sound.

"Aurora!" Y/N's voice held a genuine warmth, and a smile tugged at her lips. Hermione, meanwhile, couldn't help but sneak discreet glances at the newcomer, curiosity evident in her eyes.

"Are you here for Lockhart too?" Aurora asked, her attention shifting between Y/N and Hermione, the latter now attracting her interest.

"Oh, uhm... no," Y/N replied. She studied Aurora's features, noting the subtle changes – a deeper tan and a hint of maturity.

"Did you go on vacation?" Y/N inquired, taking in Aurora's appearance.

"Clearly you haven't; your skin's still the same as it was 2 months ago," Aurora teased, causing Y/N to chuckle.

"Well, time has been a bit of a luxury lately," Y/N admitted.

"Hmm? But I heard you're one of the wealthiest witches in the whole wizarding world!" Aurora's tone was playful.

"My reputation precedes me," Y/N responded with mock grandeur, earning a snicker from Aurora, who shot her a sidelong look.

"Oh, Hermione?" Aurora murmured, her attention shifting to the slightly uncomfortable-looking Hermione. "Are you two hanging out?" she questioned, her curiosity piqued. Y/N's lips pursed slightly, and she shook her head with a subtle motion.

"Hey, you two!" a voice rang out, and two familiar Ravenclaws – Sophie and Seraphina – approached them. Seraphina carried a few bags, while Sophie followed behind.

"Wow, Seraphina, you had a growth spurt, didn't you?" Aurora exclaimed with genuine awe, taking note of the taller girl's stature.

"Come on, it's not like I'm a giant," Seraphina retorted, a playful glint in her eyes. "And what are you doing out here? It's scorching hot," she added in a mildly exasperated tone, her gaze shifting to the bags in her hand.