4- make it or break it

Beginne am Anfang

"I could never." I responded, holding her hand as we looked at each other.

"And I was scared that the one person I was really hoping to support me tonight wouldn't be cheering for me." She said, going quiet by how vulnerable she was being.

"I'm always cheering for you, even when it doesn't seem like it." I responded, easing her nerves as I squeezed her hand.

The rest of the bus ride went well, talking to Paige like normal again is what I missed most. When we got to the arena all the girls ran out and changed, doing some drills before just shooting around for fun before they had to start getting ready.

I got some pictures during the drills and I was scrolling through them. Most of them were of Paige because I was so intrigued by her.

"Yo Jules" Paige yelled, looking at me from the court. "This one's for you" She said, smiling and winking, maintaining eye contact with me as she made the 3. The team went crazy, hitting each other and screaming at the shot and after they settled down Paige took the seat next to me.

"Admit you were impressed." She said, smirking at me as she manspreads in the seat. I had to try very hard to stay focused on what she was saying.

"Oh I definitely was, almost fell in love" I joked and she laughed.

"Let me see your pictures" She said, grabbing the camera before looking through them. "Damn these are better than Chris ever was, and their mostly of me." She smirked at me as I pulled the camera out of her hands.

"Not my fault you just happen to be everywhere." I said, rolling my eyes and putting the camera back around my neck. She got up when the rest of the girls went to change and get ready. I scrolled through my phone as the arena filled up with students, parents, friends and players. I almost didn't realize before they started announcing the teams and the players. The whole arena screamed and shook when Paige was announced.

The game was quick. UCONN maintained a lead almost the whole time. Paige scored a lot and everytime she did she did a celebration that made me smile to myself. And I got some amazing pictures. The game ended 98-39 UCONN. You could hear the girls celebrating from outside the locker room.

When they walked out, almost all of them were exhausted from the adrenaline wearing off but Paige ran up to me hugging me and lifting me up. The same way Azzi did this morning. She put me down and put her arm around my shoulder, leading us out of the facility and to the bus.

"What'd you think of the game?" She asked, obviously waiting for a compliment on how amazing she played.

"It was amazing and you were whatever." I laughed and she stopped in her tracks. Looking at me fully.

"Oh yeah?" She said smirking, looking down at me. Thank god it was dark out and she couldn't see the blush that formed on my cheeks. I just nodded before I started running, before she could kill me.

Stupid idea to try and run from an athlete because she caught up in no time. Throwing me over her shoulder easily.

"Paige put me down." I begged, pulling on the back of her shirt.

"Mmm nah." She laughed

"What are you guys doing?" Azzi asked, walking out with the rest of the girls.

"Azzi help, she's attacking me." I begged and Azzi just laughed at my position.

"What did you do?" Nika asked, chuckling at me and Paige and recording us.

"I asked her about the game. She's like "oh it was amazing and you were whatever." She explained the story, imitating me as she spoke.

"I'm not wrong." I said and Paige pretended to drop me, making me hold on to her back and screeching.

"I'll let you down on one condition." Paige said, swaying my body around. "You gotta say I'm the best basketball player you've ever seen."

"You are the best basketball player I've ever seen, truly amazing. Never seen anything like it now let me down." I begged and she finally did, holding my arms to stabilize me from how dizzy I was.

We all started gathering on the bus, me having window this time. The second Paige sat down she looked exhausted and started tossing in her seat to get comfy.

"Put your head on my shoulder." I said and she happily obliged, putting her head on my shoulder and closing her eyes. I could hear her breathing get heavy and soft snores not long after. I smoothed her hair out and pushed it out of her face, taking the time to fully look at her. She was the prettiest person I'd ever seen.

We got there pretty fast and I sadly had to wake up Paige who just looked around confused by where she was.

"Cmon P, I'll help you to your room." I said softly. Azzi left already and it was just me and Paige on the bus since it took a while to wake her up.

She got up and wobbled a bit. I grabbed her bags and hand before we walked inside and to the elevator. In the elevator she leaned against me, almost falling asleep again before it dinged, signaling we were on her floor. I grabbed her hand and bags again and we walked to her room. I grabbed her keys from her and opened the door, guiding her to her room and she immediately flopped in bed.

I let her sleep, putting her bags down, taking her shoes off and plugging her phone in. Making sure everything was ok I turned the light off and went to walk out.

"Jules." She softly said.

"Yeah P?" I asked.

"Stay. I have some clothes in the closet just please stay." She begged and I couldn't resist. Going to the closet and grabbing her sweats and hoodie. They were slightly baggy on me since she was taller than me and they smelt exactly like her.

I slid in next to her, keeping our distance as she faced away from me.

"Fuck you're so far." She said turning over and putting her hands on my waist, pulling me closer and resting her head on my chest. I ran my hands through her hair to calm her down and she fell asleep easily. Needless to say Paige Bueckers is a completely different person when she's half asleep.