Chapter 18: It was Going to be Tough

Brenna

I locked the door behind her and headed into the dressing room, dead on my feet. But I jumped when I walked in, my eyes wide. Clothes hung on racks around the small room, all in my size. I pulled open the drawers, and silk nightgowns, panties, and bras were inside... also in my size.

I sighed as I yanked one of the gowns out of the drawer, not wanting to know how Adan also knew my bra size. I took off the robe, slipped on a pair of beige silk panties, and a bra, and then rummaged through the dressing room, trying to find jeans or something comfortable. Even though there was formalwear as far as the eye could see, I managed to find a Black T-shirt and a pair of jeans.

I headed into the living room, grabbed the remote as I plopped down on the sofa, and turned it on. Then I lay back on the sofa as I watched, not really seeing anything.

It was a lot to take in. I had lived in luxury all my life. Then our Compound was attacked, and I was enslaved and sold. Everything had changed in an instant. Now, I was back to living in luxury again. My head was spinning, and at this moment, it was too much to bear.

Alone, I pulled the Afghan over myself and watched the figures moving across the screen, enjoying being able to lie down and stretch out comfortably for the first time in days. I stared at the sunshine peering through the sliding glass doors to the right, when my thoughts went to the Moon Goddess, Selene, and what Magenta had said.

I had never thought of myself as a potential Luna before now. However, Olivia, the Pack Witch of the High Claw Pack, had given me some training, assuming that I would need it. But I had always been more interested in my sword training than in Luna training, thinking it would never be possible for me.

How could I be chosen as the Luna of this Pack? Although I had never thought of it before, it made sense. My mother had been the Luna of the High Claw Pack, but she was the epitome of grace and charm, and I'm nothing like her. I'd always had a temper, whereas she was always composed, always understanding... no matter the situation.

But maybe I'd never felt like a Luna because I hadn't arrived in this Pack yet. The moment I walked through the front doors, I felt my destiny was here. Actually, before that. From the moment I saw Adan in the Auction and my eyes met his, I knew.

***

Adan

"Well?" I asked, my voice filled with curiosity as I closed the door behind Magenta.

She let out a deep breath. "She's the one you've been waiting for—"

"I know that." I knew it as soon as I laid eyes on her in the Auction House. I sure as hell didn't need a witch to tell me. "What else?"

Magenta sat on the sofa and lifted one of the Mimosas I'd poured for us. Even though it was a bit early to start drinking, I sensed that she would be emotionally drained.

"She's a potential Luna."

I nodded. "So, she is the one."

"She has great perception and already has great stores of untapped magic." Magenta took a sip of her drink. "I know the Moon Goddess will select her. She is the one who will save your Pack. I'd stake my life on it."

I tilted my head to the side, wondering what she meant. "I fully intend to keep my Pack safe. It won't need saving." I took the other glass, sat on the club chair kitty-corner from her, and took a sip.

"Yes, but after the Moon Goddess strengthens the magical stores she already has and gives her more, she could very well become the most powerful Luna who ever lived." Magenta took another sip. "With your strength and her magic and perception, you will be an unstoppable force."

I nodded, understanding. "Can you teach her?"

Magenta nodded, setting her glass down on the table. "I can and I will. But be patient with her. She's been through a lot." She rose to her feet, a crease forming between her eyes. "Be gentle with her and earn her trust. You do not want to make an enemy of her. She has no idea the depth of her potential, but she will soon become a force to be reckoned with."

I stood, giving her a small smile as I placed my hand on her back to guide her toward the door. "Thank you for your counsel. As always, it's proven to be invaluable."

Magenta nodded, returning my smile as I opened the door for her. "It's my pleasure. I shall see you on the marrow."

Although Magenta didn't look a day over twenty, she was over five hundred years old, hailing from the time of knights. With her knowledge and expertise, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if she was even older than that, perhaps from the time of Merlin himself. But I never asked. After all, a gentleman never asked a lady her age.

I nodded. "Until then."

Magenta walked so smoothly out the door that she seemed to float across the floor, and I closed it behind her.

I sighed as I lifted my glass from the table and sat on the sofa to enjoy my drink before showering again. Magenta had given me a lot to think about, indeed.

I took a swig of my drink, thinking. Then I walked over to the sliding glass doors, taking my wine glass with me, and looked across the courtyard, now bustling with wolves sparing. That's when the Pack Warrior Training was held every morning.

Then, I looked up at the sky. In a few days, the moon would be full... time for Brenna to present herself before the Moon Goddess, if she chose.

I looked out over the courtyard and the forest beyond. No one was on the grounds today, but it didn't matter. Nudity was a part of the Pack... something to be expected. A part of me wanted to hunt, but I didn't want to leave Brenna, especially not until she was settled in the castle. I had given my word to protect her, and I intended to do just that. Looking up at the sky, I smiled. "Thank you, Selene, for bringing Brenna into my life."

***

After finishing my drink, I quickly showered and dressed in a dark-gray suit, preparing for my meeting with Fletcher at noon. But my wolf felt uneasy, knowing my Mate was right next door after all this time. In fact, my wolf wanted to bust through the door and claim her right then and there, but I reined him in, knowing with Brenna, I would have to be patient and take my time to win her over.

Magenta was right; Brenna had been through a lot and didn't need me to complicate things further. Although it was going to be touch, I would wait to claim Brenna as my Mate... until she was ready.

***

A/N: So, what do you think will happen next? Comment below and let me know. :-)