Chapter 17: Luna

Brenna

My head snapped up. "Doesn't this Pack already have a Luna?"

Magenta slowly shook her head. "No. This Pack has never had a Luna. Adan never wanted nor needed one."

I chuckled, shaking my head. "Then he won't like it if I become one."

"No, you misunderstood," she replied, leaning forward on her crossed knees. "Adan never wanted a Luna because he was waiting for you, his Mate."

"But the Alpha's Mate is not always a Luna."

Magenta let out a deep breath. "No, they aren't. Lunas are separate from the Alpha's Mates. Rarely are they one and the same."

"Then, why did he wait... for me?" The more I learned, the more confused I became. This was definitely not the world I thought it was, even though it was my world, too.

A kind smile curled her lips. "Because I knew you were coming."

I nodded. "You're a seer." A seer can foretell the future. I knew enough about witches to know that not all of them were seers.

"Yes, I am." She arched an eyebrow, giving me a knowing smile. "Would you like to know your future?"

I laughed, shaking my head. "No. After what I've been through, I think I'd rather be surprised."

Magenta chuckled as she rose to her feet. "Very well, then. But if there is anything you wish to know, then come see me. Once you are chosen as a Luna—"

"If I'm chosen."

She nodded, conceding. "If you are chosen, then we shall begin your training straight away. You will be given more magic and power than you already possess." She took my hands as she looked into my eyes. "But heed my words. Do not use your powers strictly for vengeance. Use it wisely. The Moon Goddess can strip you of your power just as easily as she can give it to you."

"I understand."

Magenta smiled as she headed back into the living room, and I followed. "Brenna, let me know tomorrow if you would like to present yourself before the Moon Goddess as a potential Luna. The full moon is in a few days, so we must prepare."

The Blood Moon was coming, too. But I still had a bit more time.

As if reading my mind, she turned and smiled. "The Blood Moon is in three months. Fear not; you have plenty of time to get to know the Alpha before."

I nodded, tilting my head to the side. "And if I reject him as my Mate?"

"Do not fight the pull of the Mate Bond. It will tear you apart." She took my hands as she looked into my eyes. "Your independent spirit is fierce, but do not let it become your undoing." Then she surprised me by pulling me in for a hug. "Let me know tomorrow." Then she knocked on the door of the adjoining room.

Adan opened it and stepped aside to let Magenta in. Then he closed it behind her, his eyes never leaving mine.

I headed back toward the bedroom when another knock on the door stopped me. I sighed as I headed toward the door, knowing I would never get any rest. Even though wolves rarely grew tired, I was dead on my feet and needed to replenish my power.

When I opened the front door, a young blonde woman stood in the doorway, along with three other women, their arms filled with clothes. "I'm your designer and stylist, Asana." Then she motioned toward a young woman with red hair. "This is Heidi, your hairdresser...." Next, she motioned to a woman with brown hair and caramel skin. "This is Paige, your wardrobe assistant...." The last woman had black hair, almond eyes, and Asian good looks. "This is Ember, your nail tech."

"Huh... it needs work but will do for now." Asana looked around the room as she walked in without asking. "We're only here to bring you some clothes for now, but we shall be back tomorrow for your makeover and wardrobe assessment." Then she turned to her entourage and motioned toward the bedroom. "Put everything away."

"Yes, mistress," the three women said in unison and headed toward the dressing room without giving me a second thought.

"Hey, wait a minute!" I scoffed. "You can't just barge in here—"

"We'll only be here for a moment." Asana held my hands, giving me a grandmotherly smile as she looked into my eyes. Obviously, she was much older than she appeared. "We shall intrude upon you no longer."

I sighed, much too tired to put up much of a fight, even though I had slept the night before with Adan. "No, it's okay. But next time, please ask instead of just walking in." A part of me hoped I hadn't offended her, but another part of me didn't care. I had had enough of people kidnapping me or ordering me about and I needed to rest. The only thing I wanted to do today was to lay around, watch television, and sleep.

"Please, forgive the intrusion." Asana nodded, smiling as she released my hands. "Next time, I shall ask your permission." But she looked anything but apologetic. Amused, was more the word.

I nodded once. Then I thought of something. "How did you know my size?"

A crease formed between her eyes, looking at me as if I was the last crazy person on Earth. "Adan told me."

My eyebrows shot up. "Seriously?"

She shrugged. "Yes, of course." Then she looked me up and down. "You're a size six, are you not?"

I nodded. "Yes, but how did you know?" I scoffed. "How did he know?"

"Sweetheart, I am very good at what I do." She chuckled, arching an eyebrow. "And Adan has seen enough women in his lifetime to know your size."

"I do not wish to hear about his conquests." I headed toward the door, my blood boiling as I opened it. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to rest."

The three women walked out and gasped, their eyes wide. It was apparent that no one talked to Asana like that, but I just did.

But she smiled as she walked toward me, her eyes never leaving mine. "I wasn't implying his 'conquests.' As the Alpha, he's been around enough women to know sizes." Then she leaned in conspiratorially. "Once you get the hang of it, it's not hard to guess."

I sighed, relenting. "I'm sorry. I'm just tired."

"I know. Take today and rest." Asana smiled as she motioned for the other women to leave. "We shall return tomorrow afternoon for your fitting and makeover." Then she leaned in close, looking into my eyes. "And this time, I shall ask for permission before entering." She walked out with the other women.

"Thank you."

Asana held up her hand as she walked down the hallway with the other women in tow, not giving me a second look.

***

A/N: I want you to know how much you mean to me. Thanks for reading!