Chapter 7

The building shook.

Peter opened his eyes. His room was dark. He blinked several more times, trying to decipher if he'd just imagined it. He shrugged himself out of bed and tentatively crept down the hall. Reaching the commons area, he was met by an empty room. Moonlight filtered through the windows, casting shadows across the ground.

The walls shook, paintings banging against the drywall. The chandelier swung and Peter shot out a hand to steady himself. Was it an earthquake?

"Peter." FRIDAY chimed from the ceiling, tone sounding urgent. "Tony would like you to lock yourself in the safe-room. I've opened the door for you. It is located in the laundry room."

"Wait, what?" Peter squinted at the AI's words. Since when was there a secret door in the laundry room?

"The Tower is under attack. I must insist you hurry."

Peter looked towards the hall. The laundry room was the first door on the right. He'd be there in seconds, safe from harm.

He started walking towards the elevator instead.

"The laundry room is located-"

"I know." Peter pressed the 'down' button. Nothing. He pressed it again. "Why isn't this working?"

"You need to go to the safe room."

"Ok first of all, I don't need to do anything. Secondly, I'm not gonna cower away while Mr. Stark and the others are in danger."

"Might I remind you that you do not currently possess any of your powers."

"No, you don't have to remind me, I know." He pushed the button once more in frustration. "Forget this, I'm taking the stairs."

It took him a few minutes to actually find the stairs. For as long as he'd been here, he hadn't actually done all that much exploring besides that first day. Finding the stairwell, he threw the door open and bolted down them. The building shook again, and he had to wrap his arms around the railing to keep from falling over. He's only gone down one flight and he was already tired. Thank Odin he didn't have to go up.

Reaching two floors down, he tentatively poked his head out. It was the floor with the lab. He may not have had his powers, but he still had his brain. With free access to chemicals and gadgets and whatnot, he could whip something up to help.

Something like....................... Uh...... A device or something?

Peter darted over to a cabinet, tearing it open. If there wasn't the imminent danger of the attack going on, Peter would've been like a kid in a candy shop. After years of literally dumpster-diving for parts, to have so many different parts and tools in front of him was like... woah. Anyway. There was no time for this.

Still, he couldn't believe he'd spent time in this lab just yesterday and hadn't thought to snoop through any of the cabinets.

Shaking away his mesmerization, Peter grabbed a whole bunch of stuff and darted to the nearest clear bench. He got to work, experimenting for a couple minutes before figuring out something useful and quick to make.

He worked as quickly as he could, mind and fingers going on auto-pilot. Every couple minutes, the building would shake and parts would roll off the bench. The whole experience was moving so slowly and quickly at the same time.

The sound of unfamiliar voices made Peter halt. His head snapped in the direction of the door. He heard the voices again, sounding like they were just down the hall. Panic overtook Peter's brain, flooding his legs with adrenaline and screaming at him to run. He swept all the devices he'd made into his pockets. It wasn't many, but it'd have to do.