chapter 8

snakepaw

~~~

SNAKEPAW WASN'T SURE how he knew which way to go, but he was certain that he was going the right way.

Sprinting through the pine forest, racing towards battle, Snakepaw had never felt more... free. Despite the danger awaiting them, the gray apprentice was ready to charge into battle and defend his Clan with all he had.

There was only one problem.

"Snakepaw! Slow down!" Viperpaw's panting voice came from somewhere behind Snakepaw, tripping and tumbling through roots and brambles as he attempted to keep up with his brother's brisk pace. Snakepaw couldn't count the amount of times Viperpaw had fallen and they'd had to stop.

"Can't, they need our help," Snakepaw called over his shoulder, growing steadily more annoyed with Viperpaw's clumsiness. He had to get to the fight, and prove to Foxstorm that he was a good fighter, that he'd be a better warrior apprentice than Mintpaw ever would.

Soon, yowls of battle grew louder and louder as the littermates neared WindClan's border. Snakepaw's pelt fluffed with astonishment at the sight that greeted them. Cats were blurred together, so much so he couldn't make out his own Clanmates; all he saw were balls of fur and flashes of claws and teeth. Different scents mixed in the air, ShadowClan's pine smell clashing with WindClan's heather scent and RiverClan's marshes. 

Even with Ivorystar's reinforcements, it seemed that ShadowClan was still outnumbered. Yet Snakepaw's Clanmates were refusing to give up, fighting and fighting.

"Snakepaw!" Viperpaw had caught up to his brother, eyes stretching wide at the battle in front of them. "Snakepaw," he whispered, clearly frightened, "we should go."

"No!" Snakepaw answered sharply. "We need to stay and fight. We can't just abandon our Clanmates now."

"But we don't know how to fight," Viperpaw pointed out. "We'll only cause trouble by staying."

Before their argument could continue any longer, a bengal she-cat was thrown toward the two apprentices, and Snakepaw and Viperpaw yelped, barely jumping out of the way in time as to not be hit.

The bengal recovered quickly, soon leaping to her paws and baring her teeth at the nearest cats. Unfortunately, the nearest cats were Snakepaw and Viperpaw. She reeked of RiverClan's scent.

The fear inside Snakepaw was undeniable, but he tried holding himself together, sliding out his claws and slashing at her. "Stay back," he spat as Viperpaw quivered behind him.

"Ooh, a new little apprentice," the bengal mused, twitching her tail-tip evilly. "I take it this is your first battle? Might as well have some fun with it." Sliding out her claws, she jumped forward, and Snakepaw puffed out his chest bravely to meet her.

However, her claws never had time to come in contact with the two apprentices; a flash of ginger fur flew into the bengal, knocking her over midair. 

Snakepaw's tail stood up with excitement. Foxstorm!

Foxstorm sent a blow to the bengal's ears. "Pick on someone your own size next time, Leopardlight," he snarled.

Leopardlight growled back, giving Foxstorm a hard kick to the stomach. However, the ginger warrior only flinched, as if he'd been stung by a fly rather than attacked by a warrior. 

Just then, Sandstrike bounded over, his ears standing up at the sight of the two apprentices. "What are you guys doing here? I told you to stay in camp!"

Viperpaw passed him a sheepish smile as the mentors instantly formed a protective circle around their apprentices, blocking them from cats' view and harm, hissing at Leopardlight.