Chapter 14: My Mate and Queen

Brenna

"Why?" I looked down at the omelet Adan had slipped onto my plate. "You'll forgive me, but I don't want to be poked and prodded anymore."

"That's fair." He took a calming breath. "Magenta is the Pack Witch and our Healer. She's only coming to check you out to make sure you're not malnourished or in need of medical care." He slipped an omelet onto his plate, too. "Magenta is kind and will see to your needs."

I picked at the omelet on my plate. "Thank you."

"Brenna...." He took my hand. "Did I force myself upon you in any way last night?"

My head snapped up. "No! In fact, I was the one who pulled you to me. Remember?"

He nodded, smiling. "Brenna, I just wanted to make sure. I don't know what you've heard, but I'm not the brute you may think me to be. Just give it time." He looked longingly into my eyes. "Give me time." Then he raised my hand to his lips, kissed it, and released it. He smiled as he motioned toward the table. "Come! Enjoy! Take what you like. Do not be shy."

I nodded, drying my eyes on the sleeve of my robe... or the robe he had lent me. Even my clothes weren't mine. I took a bite of my omelet and moaned in pleasure. It tasted delicious. Then I gave him a biscuit, and then took one for myself.

Adan smiled, obviously appreciating the small gesture. I offered him the plate of bacon first, and he smiled as he took a few pieces, and then I took a few for myself.

"Brenna, you don't have to serve me first." He smiled. "Although I appreciate the gesture."

I lifted one shoulder. "You've shown me kindness so I'm showing you kindness in return. Adan, I could never repay you—"

"Nor do you need to. "He took my hand and kissed it. "Now, let's eat."

"Um... this is delicious." I took another bite of my omelet and then another, unable to stop until it was gone. It probably wasn't very ladylike, but I hadn't eaten anything of substance for days. I took another bite of my bacon, making sure to eat slowly so it wouldn't come right back up.

"I'm glad you like it." Adan took a bite of his omelet. "I have the best chef in all the Packs."

I chuckled. "Our chef was excellent, too. He used to make... never mind." I took another sip of my soup, hoping it would remove the pain still fresh in my mind... in my heart.

"Brenna...." Adan held my hand, giving me a sympathetic look. "I can only imagine what you've been through. I'm meeting with Fletcher Reed today for lunch—"

My head snapped up as I pulled my hand away, glaring at him.

Adan froze. "And before I do," he continued cautiously, "I need to know everything that happened to you, and Fletcher's part in it." He bit his lower lip and released it. "I know it's not fair to ask, but I have to know, so I know what I'm dealing with." He reached for my hand again, but I pulled away. He pretended not to notice. "I promise you, Brenna, I will get retribution for you and your people."

I nodded. "But if you're a friend of Don Reed—"

"I'm an acquaintance," Adan cut me off. "Fletcher and I have had amicable business dealings in the past, but that won't change how I will deal with this."

I nodded, staring into his eyes. "But I want to be the one to kill him... both him and the Alpha who gave me to him."

Adan let out a deep breath, considering. "It may cause a war, but so be it. But before we kill anyone, I have to know everything." A broad smile spread across his lips. "But in the Families, business is never discussed over dinner. We will discuss business over drinks after. For now, let's enjoy each other's company and this marvelous food." He sighed as he looked over the table. "I'm sorry. I would have ordered you a steak, but I thought that if you hadn't eaten anything in a while, something lighter would—"

"No, this is fine." I gave him a kind smile. "Thank you. I appreciate it. I'm sorry, but it's going to take me a while to adjust."

He nodded, smiling. "Well, then, let's enjoy our meal. Shall we?"

I took another sip of the soup, but the more I ate, the more I wanted. So, I ate another slice of bacon and then started on my biscuit. When it stayed down, I ate another slice of bacon.

"So, tell me a little about yourself." He took another bite of his omelet, his eyebrows raised as he waited.

"What would you like to know?" I took a sip of orange juice, glad it wasn't coffee. It would have done nothing to help my nerves.

"What are your hobbies? What do you like to do?"

I shrugged. "I'm good with the sword. I used to spar with Dane, my mentor and trainer." I smiled at the thought. "He never let me win. If I wanted to win, I had to earn it."

"I would have shot him." Adan frowned as he took a bite of his bacon.

I laughed. "No, I'm glad. I became a better warrior because of it." I took another bite of the biscuit as the buttery flavor filled my mouth. I reached for one of the others and put it on my plate. Then I held the platter up to Adan, and he took the another, too.

"Women aren't supposed to play with swords." He dipped his bread into his soup.

"Huh!" I chuckled, unable to believe what I was hearing. "For your information, I wasn't 'playing' with swords. I was one of the best swordsmen in my Pack because of his training."

Adan smiled, nodding. "Well, then you'll have to show our young warriors what you know... when you feel up to it."

I let out a deep breath. "If I become a member of this Pack, then I'd love to. I've always wanted to work with the young warriors—"

"You are a Queen," he cut me off sternly. "There will be no need for you to become a trainer." He shrugged. "Just show the warriors what you know, and the trainers will take it from there."

"No." I took a bite of the lobster tail. "I want to be more, to do more. I'm a warrior—"

"You're may have been a warrior, but you are now my Queen." He took another bite of his biscuit.

"I think we're going to have to have a little talk before we go any farther." I took a sip of my orange juice and swallowed. "If I become your Queen, then I will also make decisions. You will be the Alpha and the King, but I will also be able to make decisions. I refuse to be a figurehead or some kind of trophy wife—"

He laughed, taking my hand as he leaned in, giving me a sexy smile. "So, you're already thinking of me as your husband? After last night, I hope you do."

"Get off me!" I yanked my hand away, knowing he was teasing me. "The point I'm trying to make is—"

"You want to keep your independence," he finished. "You don't want to be told what to do."

"Exactly." I finished off my bacon and started working on the biscuit. "I don't intend to take orders—"

"And I don't intend to play nice regarding the matter," he cut me off. "Make no mistake about it, you will be my Mate and my Queen, and as such, you will have responsibilities and duties to honor when you're ready. I will accept nothing less."

***

A/N: So, do you think Brenna will submit and become subservient to Adan?  Would you? Comment below and let me know what you think. :-)