Chapter 13: Gone

Brenna

As I splashed water on my face, I heard Adan speak with someone outside my door. I sighed, wondering what he was up to. But I couldn't get the last night out of my head. He had come to me, comforting me in my time of need, but he had shown me a world I had never known was possible.

It was strange. This morning I had been asleep, dreaming of when I was little, playing cars with my brother at the Compound. Then I felt Adan watching me. In my dream, I looked over at him, and he smiled, watching me as he leaned against the door frame between our rooms.

But somehow, I knew it wasn't a dream. Even though he said nothing, I felt his pull, as if he were calling to me, as if he needed me this time. When I pulled myself out of my dream, I turned over and there he was, watching me, smiling as he leaned against the doorframe of our adjoining rooms, just as he was in my dream.

Pulling a fluffy towel off the rack, I dried my face, and ran a brush through my hair that was lying on the counter. It looked clean, so I used it.

In the past, I never would have used a brush that belonged to someone else, but desperate times called for desperate measures. I wondered if this room had belonged to someone else. Adan's mistress, perhaps? But I didn't want to think of him with another woman. Not after last night.

But I pushed the thought quickly from my mind, unable to believe that I was already thinking of him as mine. My wolf purred, just thinking about him.

This was the first time that I'd ever had this kind of reaction to a man before... ever. It was as if we had a bond that transcended time and space. I'm not sure how, but I was too tired to think about it now. I was hungry and thirsty. It had been days since I'd eaten or drank anything.

"Feeling better?" Adan asked when I came out, arching an eyebrow as he tilted his head to the side, giving me a sexy smile without trying.

I nodded, returning his smile. "Much. Thank you. Sorry I... got sick."

He shrugged, setting up the dining room table in my suite. "I told you not to drink so quickly."

"And then you got mad at me for throwing up!"

Even though he was sexy as hell, he had a way of infuriating me, taking me from zero to a hundred instantly. Btu last night, he also had a way of inflicting pleasure, too. Even though he was my first, he was excellent in bed.

Adan chuckled, shaking his head, looking at me like I had four heads. "I wasn't angry at you, love. I was angry at your captors. The least they could have done was to feed you and give you something to drink." He held out a chair for me at the table. "Care to dine with me?"

I nodded, giving him a small smile. "Sorry. I guess it'll take a while to get used to this again."

It seemed as if it had been a while since someone had shown me kindness, even though it had only been a few days. I'd lost track of time since the White Alpha took me to that horrid man.

Adan pushed my chair in for me as I sat. "Well, you'll get used to it again soon enough. Now, you're with me, and things will be different for you."

"But without freedom, I'm still a captive. A gilded cage is still a cage." I shook out my napkin and laid it across my lap.

Adan sat kitty-corner from me and laid his napkin on his lap, too. "The sooner you prove to me that you won't run, the sooner you will have free reign of the castle."

I nodded, understanding. I guessed that was fair. Suddenly, the luscious scent of something delicious wafted toward me, causing my stomach to growl.

Adan must have heard it but didn't say anything. He smiled as he placed his hand on top of one of the silver cloches. "I hope you like omelets." He lifted the cover, and omelets stuffed with vegetables and meat lay on the platter. "Here are omelets stuffed with vegetables and sausage..." Then he lifted another cloche. "And here is bacon and sausage." Adan opened another cloche filled with biscuits." He shrugged, smiling. "I thought you could use something light on your stomach, since you probably hadn't eaten in a while." He frowned, but his smile quickly returned as he lifted another cloche. "And if you feel up to it after, I had the chef make us some Crème Caramel, a French dessert. It'll be light on your stomach."

"I've had it before. Thank you," I said, my voice merely a whisper as the enormity of this reality sank in. This was my new life. I had no choice. Whether I liked it or not, my brother and my parents weren't coming for me. I was with Adan now. My world had shifted within the matter of a week. I pushed back from the table, rising to my feet. "I can't do this." I started to walk toward the door when he stopped me, grabbing my hand.

"Look," he said, rising to his feet. "I know this will be an adjustment for you, but just give it time. Give me time to prove to you that you can have a wonderful life here... with me."

Tears welled up in my eyes. "Adan, it's just too soon to even think about this." I bit my lower lip, trying to stop the tears, but they ran down my cheeks anyway. "I'm never going to see my parents again... or my brother. They're gone. My Pack is gone."

"Yes, they're gone," he cooed, pulling me to his broad chest. "But you have me. I will love you and protect you. I swear to you on my life." He held me while I cried, gently stroking my hair and my back as he kissed the top of my head from time to time. "Brenna, you haven't had time to grieve. Just give it time. I promise you; I won't force you to do anything you don't want to do, nor will I expect anything of you." He pulled back, and I looked up into his gorgeous eyes. "But one day, dear Brenna, you will be my Queen, but not until you're ready. I know this is a lot to take in, but let's just take it slow for now, one day at a time. Shall we?"

I nodded, relenting.

Adan took my hand and slowly led me toward the table. "And for now, let's just eat. Magenta, our Pack Witch and Healer, will come today to check you over to make sure you weren't hurt—"

I nodded as I sat down, defeated, wondering what was going to happen next.

***

A/N: So, how do you feel about the story so far? Leave an emoji to let me know!  :-)