Chapter 53: Warmth to remember

Start from the beginning

"You should not say that out loud...! Ashton will bite your head off," he said in a whisper-yelling tone.

The wind mage just laughed and waited for himself to calm down before speaking again. "Ashton is too collected to do that. If it was Zachary, perhaps, he would." He did imagine the Arkwright heir giving him a death stare after making his family matter his source of entertainment. However, the unresponsive man lashing out was out of the question.

He has been with the other for so many years, but not once has he actually witnessed him getting angry to the point where he would make any physical effort. Scoldings, yes, Grey has seen him doing that. Also, his expression of what goes inside his complicated mind is expressed through words of reprimand. The only times that he has seen him lifting a finger to fight were during mock battles and examinations in the academy.

"Should we greet Ashton's sister, though? I heard it was her first time attending the summit. There are almost no ladies present here and those who attended are too afraid to approach her," Casper pointed out in concern, his brows knitted together looking at the women who had their own groups.

Only a few of those ladies were the same age as the two of them. Although, it was still apparent that they were welcomed by the older women in their conversation, unlike with the Arkwright lady who none of them approached.

"Well, I would be scared as well. Look at her," Grey stated, pointing his eyes at the lady who stood in the middle of the monsters she shared blood with. Not even the most fearless man inside the luxurious hall would be brave enough to pass through those walls.

Still, the juniper-haired mage was curious about the personality of the ducal princess. They never really had close interactions, hence it was hard for him to accurately guess anything. There were a couple of rumors describing her as spoiled and awful, but he did not want to rely on the words of people who were probably envious of the Arkwrights' standing.

"Goodness, I think I will let her have her own peace..." he heard Casper state while shivering. The youngest of the Arkwrights happened to catch them staring at the lady. The little boy who was polite enough to greet them every time they crossed paths threw a warning glare for a second before blocking their view of his sister.

Grey inwardly laughed. Maybe he would keep his curiosity to himself for now.

~~~

During the entirety of the night, Light was obliged to stand next to his father, the emperor, to cater to the guests as they were the ones who hosted the banquet. Meaning, he was not able to do anything that he wanted while being under the surveillance of everyone.

As much as he genuinely wanted to lift even a little burden from his brother's shoulders by helping him in his duties as the heir, he still could not deny the fact that he despised being an obedient prince to his father.

He had the image of a wild card inside the academy, contrary to his rival who took after his elder brother. He grew up without the restraints of being a royal as every responsibility fell on the crown prince's hands, giving him the freedom to do whatever he wanted as long as it did not stain the name of the Adaranth Imperial House. On the other hand, his elder brother suffered all the shackles that the heir had to endure.

He admired the older white-haired mage, having witnessed his endeavor to fulfill his responsibilities all while providing time for Lady Avy. Hence, he wondered why the Arkwrights hated him so much.

It was usually not evident, but the moment they heard the servant say that the lady was seen in the arms of his elder brother, their eyes were filled with disapproval. The head of the house immediately excused their whole family so that they could leave