Chapter 53: Warmth to remember

Start from the beginning

Those of Arkwright descent, such as Ashton, were professional enough to hold a proper discussion without flaunting their power. They knew that they need not intimidate people to show their superiority. That alone is unnerving enough to be worthy of respect.

Having his own discussion with another noble did not hinder Grey from being able to hear Ashton's chat with whom seemed to be an envoy from a well-known kingdom, considering the said envoy's confidence as he stood in front of the flamma mage heir. Their conversation was like any other that Grey had. That was until there was a mention of the Arkwright princess' name.

"Lady Avana indeed inherited His Excellency's features. Truly worthy of compliments," the envoy praised in an overly jovial manner, eyeing the oblivious lady who was standing from afar. Although it was almost unnoticeable, Grey was able to catch a glimpse of Ashton's brows meeting for a moment, indicating his dislike at how the stranger looked at the girl.

"You see, my son is almost the same age as the lady. They would be really good friends if given the chance to meet." The man smiled brightly, though behind the mask of friendliness lies dishonest intentions that ultimately became the signal for Ashton to end the conversation.

Masked with complete indifference and calm, the heir did not reply with the same enthusiasm he received. "That is unlikely, considering that my sister is yet to be accustomed to meeting new faces," he said, earning a laugh from the man who breathed in as though to speak once again. However, before he could do so, Ashton interrupted.

"If you may excuse me."

Grey almost guffawed out loud, watching as the prideful crow left. His face contorted into an expression that would scare a painter away. Ashton Arkwright is an interesting man. However, although as nosy as he was, Grey decided against following the heir, halting his entertainment, so as to avoid being at the receiving end of the raven's displeasure.

Nevertheless, he proceeded to amuse himself with the other Arkwrights' affairs. That being said, not even once that he was left disappointed.

Each and every conversation they had led to the other party asking about the civil status of their only girl and, of course, it caused the ravens to put a dot on the conversation rather immediately. Grey watched on with mirth as all of them walked away with vexation visible on their faces until they eventually had enough and chose to go back to their princess instead.

"It looks like you are having fun," a familiar voice interrupted his thoughts. The juniper-haired mage swerved his head in the direction where the voice came from and found the heir of the Helion Dukedom, Casper Helion. He mimicked that of a plant that has been deprived of the sun for days, wilting and pale.

"I always have fun," Grey replied with a smile. The young man sighed at this before fixing the messy golden threads that were his hair. He was not able to stand upright, as though indicating that he did not have the energy to do so.

"Right. You love gatherings the most. 'tis unfair." Casper pouted, his dark blue eyes squinting like a child, prompting Grey to stifle a laugh. He reached for the other male's head and ruffled his newly fixed hair.

The interaction made both mages feel at ease after being surrounded by people that only came for business. Grey could say that he and Casper were closer than they were with the other heirs, considering that there are five of them, Arkwright, Harrington, and Valentina counted.

Although all of them were forced to be acquainted with each other as young as they could remember, they could not go as far as calling them friends. It was a shame after their parents planned their births to be close, if not the same year, with the crown prince.

"It is just that the Arkwrights provided better entertainment than the orchestra," Grey reasoned, causing Casper to gasp and look around, evidently alarmed.